Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Contributing Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my issue:
Looks like I have a leak at the pressure hose on my power steering pump.
I had to replace the pressure hose because it was old and cracking and developed
a leak. W.C.C.C set me up with the complete premium sb power steering hose kit.
After making the six connections, I have one leak at the connection for the pressure hose at the pump. I have backed the nut off a bit and re-positioned the the hose and tightened it. No luck! It seeps a drop about every 20-30 seconds. The old hose did not leak in this spot. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
457 Posts
it may be slightly cross threaded and you dont realize it. Many times the hose shape tends to resist the ability to make a flush connection. screw it loose and try to get it flush again.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Maybe a slightly mal-formed inverted double flare. Have you tightened the nut very tightly? This may be what it takes to make the flare seal.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Teflon tape or pipe compound on the threads will NOT fix the leak.

The nut does not make the seal. The flared portion of the hose pressed against the tapered seat on the pump fitting is the seal. There could be a gouge mark on the cone or on the flared portion of the line or the flare could be cracked. The fitting on the pump can be replaced if necessary.

·
Contributing Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I talked to our friends at WCCC, and they are sending me a replacement hose
to try. I hope this one works!
yeloxr7,
Do you know who sells the fitting for a 1967 pump?
Just in case that is the issue.

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
yeloxr7,
Do you know who sells the fitting for a 1967 pump?
Just in case that is the issue.

Thanks,
Jim
No idea. You might have to raid another pump or take yours to a decent parts store and try to find one.

I bet the hose is most likely the problem.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Put the hose on slowly and very straight, wiggle it as you tighten it, use teflon tape and crank the **** out of it. I just went through all of this, no leaks (For now)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts