Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, this is what is happening, turn right, harder than it should be. Turn left and let go of wheel, keeps going slowly till lock? I figure it is a steering box problem. 71 cougar, or could it be a pump?

·
Registered
390 Posts
ok, this is what is happening, turn right, harder than it should be. Turn left and let go of wheel, keeps going slowly till lock? I figure it is a steering box problem. 71 cougar, or could it be a pump?
Sounds like the hoses are backwards, did it on the power valve of a 70 and did exactly what you describe, not sure about the 71 though, is it intregal power steering box, no power valve?

·
Registered
913 Posts
I think it would be in the steering box.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I think it would be in the steering box.
Since '71 is the start of integral PS steering box, I agree with Carlton. With a '70 or earlier, this would indicate a problem with the PS control valve.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
I don't think the hoses can be installed incorrectly on the integral gearbox of a 71-73. Fittings are different sizes.

I agree too that the problem is probably within the gearbox.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts