Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started working on my 68 again and got it running again this morning. The power steering is making that awful whine when i turn the steering wheel. Is that repairable or do I need to get a new power steering pump? I am having a hard time finding rebuild info on this.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Have you checked the ps fluid level? They will make that sound when the fluid is low. Otherwise, you may be better off just replacing it with one that's already rebuilt and using your original one as a core. Alternatively, WCCC has repros for $79.00 with no core required but the fitting locations are different. OK for a driver, but not for a correct restoration.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Check the belt, you can get a good rebuild at any car parts store for around $50.00 with core. I believe there is only one or two companys making them, with a one year warrunty. I have had good luck with them.

·
11,000 Posts
The sound means the pump is cavitating. Could be a bad pump or just the incorect type of fluid. First thing would be to change fluid. Be sure to use Ford type "F" ATF. If you use anything else (generic power steering fluid, etc) it will growl, then ruin the pump.

·
11,000 Posts
You disconnect the return hose from the PS control valve to drain the fluid. Its a 5/8" wrench, upper rear fitting on the valve.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I think moaning is a more accurate description Jay! LOL ---- and that would be different kind of cougar that would make it a good thing!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I replaced about a quart of the fluid. It is not making any noises....moan, growl, scream or otherwise! LOL It is on jackstands so there is no resistance on the wheels but when i tried it saturday, it was slightly noisy while on the stands. Next to fix...transmission pan gasket. I will be putting in a shift kit at the same time so I have to wait til it comes in. My 10 year old is so excited and i am stoked that he is so excited! He told me saturday...."I love that car"!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
;>) Makes it all worth it huh? You proly got a leak on your PS somewhere but like Royce says - use trans fluid (type F). While your doing the pan - do yourself a favor and install a drain plug in it for the next time you need to crack it open/change fluid.....save yourself a face full and a mess. Happy Catn'

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, I am pretty sure it is leaking where the hoses connect to the control valve. I think I read that if it leaks there, it needs new seals. I need to make sure I wipe it down good so I can see if there is a leak.
I always wondered why the don't have a plug to begin with. My son is so excited. He loves cars and I think that is so cool.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts