Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I put the belt on and put fluid in the power steering to try it out for the first time since rebuilding it, and it went berserk! I started up the car touched the wheel and it just started oscillating back and forth rapidly. Not lock to lock just wiggling left and right in quick time. I adjusted the centering spring several times but no change. Any ideas?

and the control valve got very hot to the touch very quickly.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Your control valve to slave cylinder hoses are backwards.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so Art are you saying that I need to swap the hoses top to bottom on the cylinder?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Almost everybody does that once. It is a real big surprise, isn't it?

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Almost everybody does that once. It is a real big surprise, isn't it?
Surprising? I guy could get some broken digits when that stuff starts up! I have a steering wheel with three metal spokes, let me just say that my cat like reactions saved some damaged!

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BTW, I had to get the Cat to the muffler shop first thing this morning so onto and off the trailer without PS was a pain. It was actually harder to turn right that left (dead heading?) so I had to make a big lefty loop to get lined up for the trailer after pipe fix. Anyhow when I got home. swapped lines and now perfect. Thanks to Art and others for the tips.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
NO PS is a pain! I had to drive my F150 to the shop about 3 blocks when the A/C comp froze up - I disco'd the belt and drove her over there! I'm telling ya Johnny Strongarm woulda had trouble making the turns!! It was worse when it was in the lot not moving for sure! Next time I'll shell out the $75 for a tow!!

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a 65 Fastback Shelby clone that I built for autocrossing. Had manual steer with a smaller after market wheel and the Shelby quicker ratio arms and pitman. I was younger and stronger back then. Anyway had some hot shot instructor come to the course one day to show us some driving improvements. He rode with me through a pass on the course and then back at the start line he said "okay let me drive and show you how it is done." Out of the gate was a 6 cone slalom and he jumped the gas hard and did a nice burn out (musta been used to some 4 cylinder stuff?) and then proceeded to drive right over the first 3 cones as he moved the steering wheel with little result! He said damn how do you drive this thing? I said "obviously with a bit more arm and finesse that you do!" We quit the course right then and he got out saying this car is not an autocross car and he never spoke to me the rest of the event!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts