Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced all the lines on my 1968 Xr7 pwer Steering. I think the "Ford" auto-trasmission fluid is what goes in it but and second guessing myself.... Anybody know if this is the way to go or do I need to buy something else to fill the pump and lines now that they are all dry???
Just did a top end job with new heads and headers, hence the new Power Steering lines to clear the headers. Don't want to make a mistake at this point, once the pump is filled. I am (should be) ready to turn the key and see if all went as planned. Hope someone can help me with this. I think I have been adding auto-trans fluid to top it off but the service manual specifies a Ford part number and has me wondering if there is a special fluid I need to use. Hope someone can clear this up for me... Thanks in advance.
Charlie

·
Registered
170 Posts
Type "F" automatic trans fluid. Says right on the PS dipstick to use AT fluid. I know because I just asked the same question about a week ago. If you use the search function you can find that thread. I also seem to recall someone mentioning to never mix normal PS fluid with AT fluid. But you should search for it and find it to be sure. I'm the opposite of an expert here, so you'll want to read it straight from the... expert... horses' mouths? Just do a search for "power steering fluid" using the box in the top right of every page and you'll find what you need.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip(s)!! I never thught to check the dip stick, knew it was empty, guess that is why. Followed your lead on the search and you are right on the money. Thanks again for all your help. Type F trans fluid is the way to go...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts