Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again, dudes and dudettes...

I need to feel the pulse of the group again (sorry to keep leaving fingerprints on your wrists;) )

When I got my '67, the power steering was all outfitted with the late '67 size hoses and all...(5/16 rather than 1/4" fittings at the control valve). At that time, the only thing that leaked was the power valve. I had to replace the power steering pump just before I fried the hoses on my new exhaust and decided to upgrade the whole PS system.

ANYway, as part of the rebuild, I ordered a new power valve, and was sent the wrong one (I got the one with the 1/4" connectors). OK, I was depressed about that, but decided that since I had to buy new hoses anyway, that I'd just put that valve in.

To make a long story only slightly shorter, NOW I find that nothing leaks except a fairly LARGE amount of fluid that leaks out from what APPEARS to be the fill tube on the PS Pump!!! (Sincerely, that looks to me to be the source! :confused: ). It may be worth noting that I don't see any leakage when I run the car at idle, but after being at-speed for a while, when I come home and park in my (new) driveway, I get those embarassing "red spots" on my otherwise pristine concrete.

My pulse-taking is this...could it possibly be that the pump is trying to push too much fluid through the 1/4" fittings/system? I don't remember the PS Pump leaking like that in the time I had it on there before the rebuild. Has anyone ever seen the PS pump leak out of the fill tube before (and no, it's NOT overfilled, thankyouverymuch!)??? What is UP with THAT???

Just a pulse-taking anyway, as I decided to go back to the bigger-ported valve (since I am rerouting hoses under the crossmember anyway - possibly to avoid the semi-annual melting-of-the-hoses celebration) - since I figure that perhaps Mr. Mercury had a REASON to make the change mid-year :1poke: so it hopefully will go away anyway - I just wonder about that PS pump...I really don't want to have it do the same thing after I clean all that red mess off my undercarriage. I suppose I'll replace the pump too, while I'm under there...unless anyone can point to something particular as the likely cause.

If you made it this far in my mini-series post, I congratulate your patience, and I appreciate your opinion! Thanks!

·
11,000 Posts
If it is blowing out the filler hole that is normally caused by failure to bleed the system enough to remove all the trapped air. You need to run the engine and operate the steering lock to lock about 20 times to purge air from the system.

If you are melting hoses on an annual basis you must have misrouted hoses or universal fit hoses that are bent improperly, too long or lacking the metal spiral sheathing - or all three. I get many years of trouble free service from the original PS system on my Cougars but also use only original equipment type hoses. They cost a little more but are worth it.

www.bright.net/~rodes

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Royce - yeah, I'm looking for a set of the pressure hoses for the '68 390-style routing now.

I was melting hoses because I used the original routing/brackets (though without the sheating on the hoses) after I rebuilt my 302 with hi-po exhaust manifolds...there is just not enough room there to turn all the way left without having the hoses sit for a while against the manifold.

Of course, It may be the air/bleeding stuff that's causing the problem, but it's been doing that for over 3 years now, and I don't get the squealing I would expect when I do the lock-to-lock thang with air in the system. But, hey, I'm not at all opposed to try-trying again!!! Thanks for the input - at least I know I'm not (fully) crazy for seeing fluid come out of the fill tube!

·
11,000 Posts
Try getting your next set of hoses from Rode, he has stuff that fits right. (Link in my first post above)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts