Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to replace my control valve and cylinder this winter. I have leaks on both. How can I tell if I have the 1/4 inch or 5/16 fittings? I have read that early 67's used 1/4 and later they were changed to 5/16 for later 67's and 68's. My Cougar was built in May 1967.
Thanks,
Steven

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much. When I replaced mine the hose came with an adapter. It screws into the 1/4 inch on the control valve and the 5/16 fitting on the hose screws into the adapter. Or if your new control valve already has a 5/16 fitting save the adapter that comes with the hose and send it to me. I don't think anybody is making the hose with 1/4 threads anymore.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Stephen, I also have a '67 S-code. Mine was built April of that year. I got a new control valve from NAPA locally and it came with a bushing for use on the 1/4" or 5/16" installation. All I did was go with the larger size and when I got my fluid lines I made sure it matched. What part of Sumter do you live in? My wife and I live in Lexington.

·
Supporting Vendor
1,014 Posts
Be careful with those adaptors. It spaces the hose over so that on a hard right turn the pitman arm will press against the metal hose. I've seen a lot of cars come into my shop for repairs with the adaptor or an aftermarket hose with the line half collapsed. If you upgrade to a 68 control valve, upgrade to a 68 hose. Just make sure the hose you use allows for clearance of the pitman arm in hard lock to lock turns.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My control valve used to leave a puddle whenever I parked. I was refillling the p/s reservoir every week. I replaced the tube seats and the hoses, and I haven't lost a drop of fluid since. You might try that before dropping a couple hundred on the new valve.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
If you get a new control valve you will most likely get a 5/16 fitting as the 1/4 was only used up to 1967.
The adapter will bend from the pitman arm hitting it.
If you order one make sure it is the 5/16.
The new hoses only come in 5/16 by the way.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Order both, send one back.
Or measure the line.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The 5/16" line takes a 5/8" wrench to remove if my memory serves.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
If you get a new control valve you will most likely get a 5/16 fitting as the 1/4 was only used up to 1967.
The adapter will bend from the pitman arm hitting it.
If you order one make sure it is the 5/16.
The new hoses only come in 5/16 by the way.
Mustangs Unlimited lists 1/4" hose kit. Part # PSHK4 01

1 - 10 of 10 Posts