Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to control how much assistance the pump can give or change hydraulic pressure? Is there an adjustment screw in there somewhere?

I'd like mine to work at a lower rpm and give a bit more feedback. The system works but is over boosted. Sadly enough, I must've turned mine to hard against the stops and now the high pressure hose from the pump is leaking. I already have ordered a replacement from WCCC & they usually have good stuff.

The vehicle has been fully mechanically restored & these are new parts.

Yes, I know that people change out to the Borgeson system but can the OEM system be improved?

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
To be honest i have never done it but I would think it would be by a modification in the control valve on the steering cylinder if possible ..
I would give these gentleman a call ... or drop a email ..
https://www.larescorp.com

·
10,987 Posts
There is no adjustment. But there is a super easy way to slow down the pump for more road feel. Just change the pulley on the pump to a larger size. Shelby did exactly that on the 1967 GT350 to get better road feel. Now the pulleys have been reproduced so anyone can do it.

It seems like you want more pressure at low RPM. With a leaking hose you may find that just a hose replacement fixes the problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts