Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new power steering ram not too long ago but now when I turn the wheel (more so when the car is cold) the steering pushes against me and makes a kind of high pitched barking sound.

Anyone know what this might be?

·
Registered
885 Posts
You've crossed the hoses from the control valve to the power steering ram. Crawl back under the car, and switch the connections at the ram.

Steve C.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
watch out

switching hoses at random is very dangerous! the wheel would be oscillating violently!

The problem sounds like low fluid or slipping belt.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I doubt the hoses are crossed since it worked perfectly fine the first two months it was on. I had thought of the low fluid thing myself as well and so I filled it up a week ago and it's still doing it.

Hadn't thought of a loose belt but that would make sense, I had replaced my belts a few weeks ago and it's possible that it started doing this about that time.

Is it possible that the pump could be going bad? I don't think I've ever replaced it.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Klenzd wrote:
I had thought of the low fluid thing myself as well and so I filled it up a week ago and it's still doing it.
If your pump ran low, it may be that you have air in your system. Try bleeding it by putting the car up on jack stands and turning the wheel from stop to stop slowly about 4 or 5 times. Check the pump every time to see if the fluid is down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts