Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 68 cougar slowly drips power stearing fluid and has been a problem for a while now. It doesn't seem to be comming from the power steering unit but lower down on the steering rod.

What I really need is a Chilton's because I'm not sure what the part on the steering rod is called that seems to have the leak.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The power cylinder (attached to steering center link) is where it appears to be leaking from.

I will double check the hoses to make sure there is not a loose fitting. It's a slow leak (purple fluid).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok found out what the leaky part is called.

It is the Control Valve!

It seems to be the culprit as it's covered in fluid and drips from the end. (My Uncle says these are known to leak on Cougars, not sure where he heard that but he knows a little something about classics. He completely rebuilt two 56 Chevy Wagons.)

Looks like a rebuilt Control Valve costs about $150. Not sure how easy it is to replace though. I may have to take this one in to the shop.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
It could be just the hoses are loose and leaking from them. It's a messy job (grab a bucket), but undo all 4 hoses, clean the threads, wrap the white tape crap (thread sealant) around the threads, and tighten them up with a flare nut wrench. Then pressure wash the control valve area good, and wait to see if it stops leaking. It could be just that easy.

If you have to replace, it's pretty easy, remove the hoses, center the steering wheel, pull out the roll pin, losen the clamp bolt, and unscrew the control valve,count threads remaining on the centerlink, then reverse the operation to install . And stop when you get to the remaining threads.

Rick

·
Registered
794 Posts
just like Dark said. I went through this installing a manual steering adapter and yanking the power stuff. The one thing you will need is a tie rod/pitman arm puller to get the stud on the control valve out of the pitman arm.
I rented this from the local auto parts store. It is easy as hell. You can do it if you have minimal experience. Besides, you are free!

If you need to degrease first, I have found that the hand cleaner in a tub works well with a scrub brush to remove grease and dirt.
No chem mess afterwards too.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Ok i also have a PS leak on my 73 XR-7, altho mine seems to be a bit bigger of a mess...lol whenever i park her for longer than 5 hrs i get a small puddle under what looks like where the pump is. I have cleaned the engine and the mess near the brake booster went away but there is still the puddle, it has new hoses but thats is, could mine be the same problem?
Thanks
:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
New hoses should be checked about a week after installing. The moving and settleing will lossen the hoses alot. If its under the pump (front of motor) then it could have a hole in it. The control valve is usually the main place it leaks cuz of the 4 hoses going in coming loose. The control valve moves with the centerlink, causing the hoses to move and work themself loose, major pita. I had the manual control valve adapter on the Fairlane but was a pain to steer the big car and put new power steering back on. It still leaks, but life goes on,lol. One day it will stop leaking, I hope anyways. It sure makes one he$$ of a noise when the pump runs dry.

Rick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts