Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY 73 XR-7 seat has been in and out for carpet and seat frame weld repair. The power seat is 4-way stock and it works some days, some days it doesn't work. mostly I notice this during cold/rainy weather. What is the culprit likely to be?

·
Registered
67 Posts
MY 73 XR-7 seat has been in and out for carpet and seat frame weld repair. The power seat is 4-way stock and it works some days, some days it doesn't work. mostly I notice this during cold/rainy weather. What is the culprit likely to be?

You didn't mention if the problem occurs only when moving the seat in a certain direction: forward/backward, up/down?

Check the integrity of the wiring to the switch and seat motor (you may have a partial/completly broken power or ground wire), and whether the wiring connectors are fully seated and making good electrical contact.

If everything looks good you could also try spraying some electrical contact cleaner (available at any good electronics supply shop or possibly Radio Shack), into the inner workings of the switch (disconnect power first), using short (1 second), bursts and move the lever around to actuate all of the contact points inside. Be sure to let the cleaner evaporate completely before you reconnect the power.

Hope this helps!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts