Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My battery is dead every morning. It only started going dead once I hooked up my new carburetor's electric choke. So my question is, how are you supposed to wire up and electric choke? Thanks a bunch - Chad

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Where did get uour power wire from... whats it hooked to?

Don

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
POWER WIRE that is.... Someday I'll learn how to type:1poke:

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
presently the wire has been removed to save power, but the way I had the thing hooked up was that the ground wire was grounded to the body - I know that was all fine - and the power wire was connected to the battery side of the Soleniod - That's what is bothering me... It's like it is sucking my power down all the time, so how is it supposed to be connected? - Chad

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
the battery side is probobly the problem. Your choke is always on. You need to find a power source that is only there (on ) when the key is in the ON/RUN position.

Don

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Chad I didn't know if you saw this old thread and didn't want to copy it all so I replied to ti to bring it out...

One way or another...:D

Don

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok thanks Don - Chad

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
here, my choke wire is spliced into the coil -- heres the pic, maybe you can make it out

Attachments

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK thanks for all your help. I think I've figured it all out. I ended up splicing the power wire from the choke with the white wire at the voltage regulator. I've tested it all out and I think it's working prefect. - Chad

·
Registered
145 Posts
the choke needs to have a solid twelve volts to work properly. on ford products I tie into the starter solenoid. i'm speaking of the type with two small and two largepoles.connect it to the ignition side of the solenoid, thats the right hand terminal if looked at from the front.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
connect to the large pole that goes to the starter or to the smaller one more towards the middle, so furthest to the right or the next one in, I mean? thanks - Chad

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
An electric choke will work off a 6 volt source - it just takes a bit longer for the bi-metal strip to heat up. I have them running off the STA connection on the alternator (which is 6 volt) and they work fine

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey you're from San Jose too... Welcome to the boards - Chad

·
Registered
145 Posts
sorry I wasn't more specific. I meant connect to the small terminal on the right if looking right at it. thanks for the welcome message

1 - 14 of 14 Posts