Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!!
Well i finally upgraded to electronic ignition!! YAY!! :p:
I was wondering and have been searching through past posts but cannot find what i am looking for.... i have a stock 351W 2V with headers and dual exhausts. I want to upgrade to Edelbrock performer manifold and Edelbrock 600cfm (elec choke) carb. So my engine is now lighter, 4V and with a 600cfm carb blowing through the headers and pipes. What sort of power gains can i expect to see? HP wise?? Guestimate?? I want to keep it a street machine with low end grunt, i don't drive at extreme speed (well maybe once to see what she can do!! :D ) and just want a streetable Cougar that has the acceleration of a true Cat!! :p: Are these mods enough to satisfy my need, or maybe the RPM intake?? but i want zero rpm up!! Or another brand?? What about the carb 650, 700?? Please your thoughts and opinions are needed and appreciated.... i just want to put my money on something that i am going to be satisfied with!! To satisfy my whim is the above all i need or do i need a performance cam as well??
Many Thanks for all your help past and present

Stu - :D I LOVE COUGARS!!!

p.s and this site.... according to the scratching post everyone seems to love everyone!! Truely a 60's theme going on in here!! :D

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I did that swap eight years ago...351C 2V heads, and added an Edelbrock Performer intake and Holley 4150 600+ carb.

I just swapped the carb for the new Holley 570 Street Avenger, and as they said, "it runs right out of the box." Best carb I've ever dealt with...required NO tuning, except to lower the idle from 900 to 800.

Several people have told me that the 4V intake and 4V carb increase the HP by about 30-40.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
im running something similar to that on my car. Edelbrock Performer Intake, Holley 670 Street avenger carb, Hedman Headers, Perttonix ignition module, Accel Coil, Accel wires, dual 2.5 inch exuast with an H pipe and 2 chamber Flowmaster Mufflers. it has a stock cam and the heads are stock. it makes decent power and it still idles smooth and gets OK milage when i keep my foot out of it. it even hit 20 mpg once on a longish freeway drive. thats not usual though lol. generally regular city driving will get me about 10 mpg or about 12 if i keep the foot light. if the foots heavy ive seen it drop to 7. all in all i guess about 275 - 300 hp out of this combo. more likely closer to the 275 because of the mild stock cam. but it idles very smooth and all so i dont really want to change that out. well... thats my combo. nothing radical at all but it does the job.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Since the engine will be somewhat apart when you do the intake swap, it'd be best to install a cam at the same time. You won't see much benefit to having a 4 barrel carb if your cam doesn't allow the engine to rev past the range of the previous 2v carb. For a "street pep" cam where you can still get in and just drive it like a normal car, but it will have more torque and upper HP. I would recomned an .050" duration between 205 and 220 for the intake lobe and up to an additional 10 degrees on the exhaust if you have exhaust manifolds or only another 4-6 if you have headers. As far as the lobe seperation, that would more depend on the amount of duration you chose and the sound and performance "trade-offs" you desired.
An engine with 351 cubes spinning at 5500 rpms needs only 554 CFM to flow through the carb. I would recomend going with a 600 carb. I my opinion I'd choose an Edelbrock carb---because they're easy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts