Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently looking at buying a '68 with front power drum brakes. The current owner does not know when the booster was added or what kind it is. The first thing I would do of course is change the front brakes to disc. I can buy a conversion kit without the booster/ mast cyl. so my question is, will the current booster/mast. cyl and proportioning valve work if I just change out the bottom half?

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I don't know if the drum brake pedal and booster will carry over, I'm sure someone will chime in on that. But you WILL need a different master cylinder and proportioning valve for use with discs.

·
Registered
630 Posts
i did this on my 67 i used 69 disc spindles 69 proportioning valve, if you get a used valve be sure to take the top off and smack it on wood until the little piston comes out there is a o-ring on the piston check the dia. with dial calipers or just try to eyeball match it coat with alite coat of brake fluid and put it back together there was also an o-ring originally on the groove on the outside circumference it will most likely be missing there are 2 small weeping holes in that groove on the outside. if you dont replace the o-ring on the piston inside fluid will eventually leak out as the original o-ring dries out. the outside o-ring is to keep dirt out of the weeping holes. this is the round assembly about 1/2 inch in dia. and about 4 inches long it has a brake line going into the top & bottom from the distribution block. i had power drum on mine and i believe front & rear lines matched as far as the booster go to auto zone or o'reilys you can get a bendix & new master cylinder for around 120.00 i think we just put disc brakes on a 69 i sold to my nephew. your original power drum pedal and brake switch should work mine is still on my 67 and works fine. no matter what get a bendix power booster i dont remember the name of the other booster but they have a metal clamp around them and they are junk a bendix will fit fine. you should be able to use any 67 -70 mustang or cougar distribution block w/ proportioning valve same on disc spindles only thing with spindles is you may have to use the same year tie rod end and ball joints as spindles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts