Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
11,000 Posts
No. Will not work properly swapped either way.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Very interested in the answer too. I am swapping in oem 67 power booster and pedal into a drum drum car for the 4 wheel mustangsteve GT disc brake swap. Thus far I know the firewall is cut differently to accept the booster.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
On disc brakes, there is a larger reservoir bowl on the master cylinder for the fronts.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
The pedal, hanger and booster from a drum brake car will work just fine for a disc brake car. As Scott says, the master cylinder is different. The distribution block/proportioning valve and the brake lines are also different.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Since the subject was broached, can you replace the plastic check valve with another brand, for asthetic reasons, are all the same diameter?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Since the subject was broached, can you replace the plastic check valve with another brand, for asthetic reasons, are all the same diameter?
If it fits correctly and is a check valve, I see no reason you could not do this.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
The pedal, hanger and booster from a drum brake car will work just fine for a disc brake car. As Scott says, the master cylinder is different. The distribution block/proportioning valve and the brake lines are also different.
Also, (although not asked/discussed) manual and power pedals do not interchange.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Bob, You're right and that's what I meant. Power drum brake hanger/pedal & power disc pedal/hangar are interchangeable.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Also, (although not asked/discussed) manual and power pedals do not interchange.
Power drum brake pedals are the same as power disc brake pedals. Power drum brakes had a booster assist, with those front drum brakes.

Three kinds of brake offerings in the early years.
4 wheel drums
4 wheel drums with power booster
Power front disc brakes and drum rear

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
And Scott's right too!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Now that I've thought about it, is it really a check valve? I'm speaking of the round plastic thingy that the vacumm hose attaches to. I've got a rebuilt Bendix, and I have an oringinal white plastic one from the Midland that came with the car, Are these things all the same diameter?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Yes, it's a check valve.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Great, it's a check valve, but are they all the same diameter, I'd hate to pull off the one that came with the Bendix, possibly damaging it, only to find out the one from the Midland is either too big or too small in diameter.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts