Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to take my Eliminator rear tail light bezels to be powder coated tomorrow. Has anyone had a problem with them warping while being heated? I have had problems with head light buckets and such. The tail light bezels look like they are just steel.
Thanks

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
They are pot metal and I'd be willing to bet they would warp. I wonder if you could brace them up somehow on the backsides to help hold things while being heated...? Let us know if you do it - currious how it would work.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
if your not using lo temp p=coat , make an angle iron frame to keep them straight---after powder and prior to bake , you can wipe the p-coat off the fins --- better than masking--no sharp edges---works best when hung up side down
doctordesoto

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I wouldn't do it unless it is low temp powder. Mine got warped to hell and back when I had mine done. I had to pry them in to fit the frames because it was the only set I had. I don't think a frame will do much good, most of my warping was between the mounting points since the mounting points are reinforced.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have decided to just paint them one more time. Reason why I say that is, I have tried to paint them twice both times they have had some fish eyes in them. First time I painted them they looked better than the second. But third time it is going to work perfect.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I recommend SEM trim (or other self-etching) paint if you are not already using that. You are likely to have adhesion problems otherwise.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Wish I had done that Bob! Mine are peeling like the dickens,,,,<sigh> Stripping those is gonna suck - may have to have them blasted with walnut shells

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
like i said--an angle irn frame works--but if you did't , a std plumbing type propane cyl will save your bacon---i had to fix mine cuz i didn't use the angle and you can get the pot metal hoot enough to reshape without blistering the powdercoat
doctordesoto

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Doc, it's a little early Cali time to be hittin' the sauce, no? LOL at Doc's last message.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
if you saw how badly distorted my front grill units and the tail light covers were , you'd be chuggin the good stuff all the tine-----actually , i impressed myself @ how well the pieces straightened up with a little heat and some soft cotton gloves to protect your hands---at the point i fired the torch up , i had nothing to loose as the pieces were junk--by slowly passing the torch over the parts and not holding the flame directly on the p-coat , i was able to get everything damn close--probably closer than alot of 67/68 grills out there today
doctordesoto

1 - 10 of 10 Posts