Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Long time reader, finally posting. Trying to evaluate a cougar for sale here in Seattle, would appreciate some your expert advice. I'm not looking to spend a forture taking it to the next level, but a cougar viable as a driver.

1967 Cougar Xr7.
Drivetrain: a transplant rebuilt 302 from a fairlane, 4v 600 Edelbrock, headers and flowmasters and rebuilt auto trans., mechanically sound (as told).
Interior: New carpet, headliner, well worn but all there interior otherwise. Various new suspension parts. Gauges, core electrical functioning.
Exterior: cheap Maaco white with primer hood and driver door. Diminuative bubbling rust in passenger rear qtr, door. Vacuum and sequentials functioning.

Coug3.jpg Coug1.jpg Coug2.jpg

My fears: Owner's unaware what rearend is in it, was told 4.10 but thinks it's 3.55. Is this functional as a driver, or would it need to be something more like a locking 3.00? Especially with aftermarket 4v carb, worried about everyday drivability. (fuel, highway).

I'll add VIN and more photos as I have them.

Thank you!

Tim

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Have you driven the car yet? Having an aftermarket carb and intake alone will not hurt the daily driver aspect of it. A 4V carb can actually get better gas mileage than a 2V, due to the 4V having a smaller primary venturi. The problem comes when you try and pass everybody.
There should be a tag on the drivers side door that lists the equipment that the car came with from the factory, including the rear diff. Unless the current owner knows the rear end has been changed, I'd start with that.
Have you driven the car? A 4:10 rear is pretty steep for an un modified small block, if that is what it has, it will be very quick, and have very high rpm's at 50 miles an hour...

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
It looks like it wouldn't take much to make it a decent driver, but the pictures are kind of limited so who knows? The best thing to do is actually drive it and see how it steers, brakes, and rides. If all of that is solid and there isn't a lot of rust that the pictures don't show, then it should be a good starting point. Be sure to check the cowl for leakage onto the front floors, though.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
I looked at the pictures yesterday on CL and thought it probably wasn't a bad asking price if it's not a rust bucket. The rear end is easily swapped out for one that would work better as a daily driver. 3.00 open rear ends are dirt cheap. Don't let a rear gear be the decision in buying an otherwise good Cougar.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
That is a very desirable car: '67 XR7 AC power Disc Brakes, Tilt Away steering column, Probably power steering, center console, no vinyl top, excellent dash pad from what I can see. What a great car to start with!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I agree - looks like a solid one and you can get a 2.75 or 3.00 rear setup to keep the milage reasonable. Your not going to get modern car like performance of course.....but you can increase realibility dramatically by upgrading to an electronic ignition, and jsut doing a good solid going through top to bottom. Check the brake lines/flush, check gas tank - replace?, gas lines......etc

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate the tips, especially regards to 2v vs. 4v. I realize my knowledge of carbs is a bit simplistic. I haven't yet driven it, hopefully see it after work today (of which I'll grab the VIN to decode) and check for rust in the spots you guys mentioned.

What's your visual queue that it has tilt steering column? That's an interesting tidbit I missed. He also mentioned a put in a more powerful fuel pump as the previous couldn't keep up with the new carb. Hopefully this insinuates he's gone through the fuel lines and tank previously?

Thanks!
Tim

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Great car to start with!! Miles above what I started with, assuming a thorough review of it provides no surprises or previous damage/repair.

The bubbles are in the spots where they would be expected, rust coming through (pitting) from the backside. This will continue to get worse unless repaired (patch fix, etc.), but that is another topic.

I'm looking at it right now on CL... I am only a few miles from there right now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's my previous Xr7 I sold about a year ago for some reason. I loved the look of the kelsey hayes magstars (from a merc x100) on the cougar. Anyone have a set of old ones laying around?

CougOld.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
The collar on the column suggests that it is a tilt column. Check the driver side door jamb. If you see only one button in the door jamb, the car did not come with a tilt column. If there are two, or if there is a hole cut for a second one, the car (more than likely) originally came with tilt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts