Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
well if things do not look up for me within a month or so i may put up my recent purchase up for sale.As of late things have been looking very grim for me and money has been quite tight.So ill give it the best details right now before i decide on what to do with it in a month or so.1970 eliminator right now it is white but it is a original competition gold .It is supposed to have a 3 speed manual transmission but it has a fmx auto in it.The car is a M code 351c car but i believe it also has the incorrect engine as well.There is no rot on the underside at all.The interior is in pretty good shape has all the camera case panels intact.It does need some work around the trunk area and around the back window area(rust)it has no rust on the trunk floors or in the shock tower areas.It does need a drivers door,a hood and possdibly a trunk lid and some work on the passengers door.Truthfully people this car is a nice car but it needs to be restored by a guy that wants to restore a eliminator the right way.Unfortanetly my funds cannot do this at the present time but if i have no choice in 1 month i will force myself to sell it for what i paid for it.Iwill say the dash is in great shape and the center console has been restored so hopefully things will turn around soon.
thanks
pat

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
That's to bad Pat, hopefully you can keep it and fix it up as time goes. Best of luck.

Rick

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rick
im trying my best into keeping it , so far ive been keeping my faith up n convincing myself not to sell it, everything will be ok... I sure hope so for my sake
thanks
pat

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
Pat i to went through some tough times here a while ago and was selling both my cats but i held in there and the times passed and now i still have my cats and a 57 tbird so hang in there sometimes things have a way of working out....... on the other hand sure could use an elim...... never mind ya you better sell it.:D :D :D :dogpile:

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cougarguy,
i understand where youre comming from,i hate to see it go myself. I have every intentions of keeping the car.It is my 3rd 70(2nd one was a parts car).And wanna build a killer streetmachine out of it.Nothing that has to deal with cutting the rear and tubbing it, just a bad a$$ street machine, so like you said hopefully things will turn around soon, i hope.
thanks
pat
1970 standard convertible
1970 competition gold eliminator

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Pat, I just dont understand why you just dont sell the convert, it runs and looks good, you could get more for it right now. Just a thought.

Rick

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RICK,
well unfortanetly i got more money invested into that car then out of the 25 cars i have owned in 12 yrs of driving.That 70 is my 1st car i have ever owned,i bought that car when i was 15 yrs old and restored it 4 times and its tough to get rid of a car that you have had so many memories restoring it.Like i said i`l never get what i put into it back so i`m gonna enjoy it n drive it.Since finishing it inearly spring of 2001 after 15 months of it being off the road i probably put on a total of 500 miles on it.Cause in RI where i was you get probably about 4 good top down weather months, unlike Florida here you got top down weather year round.I am planning on registering it today so i can drive it but as of late its been sitting in the garage.But as far as the eliminator goes well we are renting this house where were at and i got all my body shop tools here(welder,5 hp 60 compressor,DA`s board files etc)and cannot do any work to it cause of the neighborhood were in.So i plan on doing what i can do and when the time is right i`m gonna have a body shop do the rest and paint it.But the convertible is something special to me it was the 1st car i restored,its a 1 of 24 made car,and its a car i know i can look back n say i restored it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RICK,
well unfortanetly i got more money invested into that car then out of the 25 cars i have owned in 12 yrs of driving.That 70 is my 1st car i have ever owned,i bought that car when i was 15 yrs old and restored it 4 times and its tough to get rid of a car that you have had so many memories restoring it.Like i said i`l never get what i put into it back so i`m gonna enjoy it n drive it.Since finishing it inearly spring of 2001 after 15 months of it being off the road i probably put on a total of 500 miles on it.Cause in RI where i was you get probably about 4 good top down weather months, unlike Florida here you got top down weather year round.I am planning on registering it today so i can drive it but as of late its been sitting in the garage.But as far as the eliminator goes well we are renting this house where were at and i got all my body shop tools here(welder,5 hp 60 compressor,DA`s board files etc)and cannot do any work to it cause of the neighborhood were in.So i plan on doing what i can do and when the time is right i`m gonna have a body shop do the rest and paint it.But the convertible is something special to me it was the 1st car i restored,its a 1 of 24 made car,and its a car i know i can look back n say i restored it.But i hope you can see my point of view on this.
thanks
pat
1970 standard triple white convertible
p.s. heres a newest picture of the car

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Pat, I know what you mean. Its just a shame that if you do the sell the Elim. Ive had mine for 10 years, and its a pile of crap right now, and has been moved with me all over the place, and all my spare parts, I WONT sell it, Id sell everything else before my car. Im planning on gettin it running this year, but the Fairlane is causing me nothing but problems right now, but I wont sell my cat, it will stay in the back burners until I get around to it. Hopefully things turn around for you, cuz I know that when you do start working on the Elim. it will be as nice as your convert, if not better. Good luck and hope things turn around for you :)

Rick

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rick,
i appreciate the positive confidence.Thats all i need truthfully to keep my spirits up.The fact that i own a eliminator as well as a convertible, well feels damn good. I got 2 pieces of history in my possesion and know that will be well cared for and be a great collection. Its like a kid with models/diecasts, only these are a full scaled version lol.
thanks
pat

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Pat, any time you feel like you cant do it, give me a call, lol. I have 2 pieces of history here too. My Cat, and the Fairlane, and wont sell them for anything. I'll let them sit before I have to sell them. I was offered 6000. Can. about 5 years ago for the cougar the way it sat, I was so broke, but I said no, 1 week later I ended up finding a cool job. I was working last year, and a collector offered me 5k for the Fairlane. It has history in BC, (Jim Pattison owned it, he's a big Save-on Foods guy, alot of car lots, etc.) I said no. Ive sold lots of my unfinished projects over the years and promised myself I'd never do it again. They could sit and rust before Id sell them :) Out of curiousity, what would you ask for the Elim. Email me if you like, and if you do sell it, let the new ownwe know I have a hood and proper trunk :)

Rick

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rick,
dont do anything with that trunk yet , i still want it. I know things will get better i`m just a worry wart when it comes to my credit n my belongings.I dont like to be strapped for cash, but i know i will pull thru this.I worked so hard for everything i have owned in life and i aint about to give up.If i was to sell it i would probably ask what i paid for it which was 2,000. I was born to love old cars and theres no way i would let something like this let go.. Cause i know down the road i`ll kick myself in the rear for getting rid of it .So if i have confidence in myself i can get thru this situation. again DON`T get rid of that decklid .
thanks
pat

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Pat, I wont, its yours when your needing it. I dont have it advitised, and I do want you to have it for when you restore "YOUR" cat.

Rick
:)

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rick,
thanks i owe you one when the time comes down the road and you need anything ill do my best to make it happen. Ya dont find good people like yourself or others in thiss here in this organization i like to call it.THANks again rick.
Pat

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Pat, if I was Rich instead of Good Looking (lol) I'd send you the trunk lid, but I have a house full and bunch of cars, so unless I win the lottery, I cant give it to you. But you never know :) Hang tough, things always get better. (I always tell myself that)

Rick

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rick,
i didnt say give it to me(wouldn`t be a bad idea though)i just said i owe ya 1 for holding onto the decklid for me.I`ll do my best to get the cash for ya ASAP but please if you can be patient ok?
thanks
pat

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Pat, no worries. Like I said, its not advertised, and it is my spare for my car incase I got crunched. So its not going anywhere, unless I get crunched, :) Im real patient, trust me, I have another lid to sell if I get desperate lol. I just might strip it, pop the small dent out, and prime it and sell it for lots.

Rick

·
Contributing Member
797 Posts
Pat,
I know how you feel. Hold onto your baby as long as you can. My 67 is my first car that I bought in the Air Force and I still have her now. She's in a body shop in Warren getting done properly this time. Hang in there, things will get better. Heck, I even got rid of my first wife and still have my baby! Where in RI are you?

Steve

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Steve,
i was living in Coventry RI at the end of may, i since moved to ST Augustine florida.I helped out a fellow cougar fanatic and a good friend of mine mark this past weekend move all of his car parts and some of his belongings, and cougar eliminator 1 to his new house in Melbourne FL.I got to see my car today in his garage sitting.Checking out the body, believe it or not i only need a door(drivers side) and a rear decklid,(but have one waiting for me from rick), so all it really needs is a door.It does need a hood but i got one from my convertible.But steve i am trying to keep my chin up n do the best i can to keep her.
thanks
pat

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hello all,
well i have been thinking alot and i have come to a conclusion.I am going to sell the eliminator,right now i cannot afford it in my state of pasture.I will regret selling it but unfortanetly i have no other alternative.I appreciate all the people that tried to help me convince myself into keeping it, but i rather see it go to a good home.When i am ready to buy another cougar it will be a 69-70 standard or a xr7 that i wanna pro street out.So if anyone wants any information on the eliminator to email me.I will give a best of description as i can about the car.I only want what i paid for the vehicle.But keep in mind this car needs a full restoration.
thanks
pat
1970 standard triple white convertible(will never sell)
1970 competition gold eliminator(for sale)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts