1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
19 Posts
hmmm.... well i cant vouch for the system itself but i am interested in this as well. sorry i cant offer any help but thank you for the link. a coil over front suspension is the route i plan on going as well. im curious, do you know if that steering rack alters the turning radius? I remember reading somewhere that a lot of the after market rack and pinion kits kill the turning radius of the car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not sure if this rack changes the steering radius. I am still not completely clear as to where it mounts. Is it behind the front cross member tube or does it replace it? It is hard to tell from the picture. I was hoping that someone here had used it.

The coil over kit claims to maintain the stock geometry. I am unclear as to how different the rack geometry is, as that could be a different rack pictured than the one that would fit the 67 cougar.

It your going to run a big-block then you could look into Total Cost Involved's kit. It is featured on Stacey David's Gearz.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
GeoGus,
So are you interested in the TCI kit or the TCP kit? Helped my buddy install the TCI kit, quite a lot of work, seems to ride ok. Turning radius is a tad degraded. You'd better be spot on with the measurements and do some good welds. You can use a Cleve with the TCI kit, just change the pan. Kevko makes a couple of different rear sump pans for the mighty canted valve wonder...The TCP kit is nice stuff but in my humble opinion, it's just a bunch of added weight and complex adjustments (haven't found an alignment guy who could figure it out yet), plus cost. I put the TCP coilover kit on a buddies 65 Mustang...absolutely no difference in ride from my 66 that has Maier springs, reinforced and realigned control arms and Bilstien shocks. Of course the TCP kit has it's advantages, you can change springs easier than a stock setup, you can change ride heights much easier...I guess it depends on what your looking for. The TCP rack and pinion is a nice piece, as close to a stock turning radius as you can get. Bolt in, quick and adjustable..I have one I'm going to sell that was going in another car if you're interested....
Hope this all helps..

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
OOOhhh - that sounds like the ticket right there^!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Cleveland does not fit with the TCI kit because the oil pump itself is too large, as it extends to far below the motor. An external oil pump would be required. I am amazed that the coil over system does not handle noticeably different that the stock setup with good springs and bushings, but thanks for the heads up.

Is it new or used, what is the model number, and how much?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why do you say I would need a big block setup? The Cleveland is a member of the 335 block family and has small block mounting geometry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts