Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I traded a Jeep Wrangler for my 68 Cougar. I've done some research and still not sure about this VIN. The car appears to have the XR-7 and GT Packages. The VIN states otherwise. I'm guessing it's a "tribute" to the XR-7 GT. Or is it something special?

VIN #8R93F522734

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Nothing special. Many big blocks were changed out for small blocks during the gas crisis in the 70's or were robbed from Cougars to use in Mustangs and other popular Fords. Your car was originally produced in San Jose, CA as a 68 XR7 with a 302 2V.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a feeling it was too good to be true. The guy I got it from swore up and down it was original "special order" and wasn't reflected in the VIN. I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination but I believe the GT package is installed on this cat.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Aside from the 390 4 bl with chrome dress-up and the GT badges, the GT package would have front disk brakes along with upgraded suspension.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I had a feeling it was too good to be true. The guy I got it from swore up and down it was original "special order" and wasn't reflected in the VIN. I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination but I believe the GT package is installed on this cat.
It may be true that your car came from the factory with the heavy duty suspension. Here's a link to a restoration of an XR-7G/J code by KTL Restorations with the Heavy Duty Suspension listed on the Marti report: http://www.ktlrestorations.com/ebayadd/index.shtm (11th pic). This G is owned by member JSV (gorgeous car btw :)). So you might want to order a Marti report for the car and to see if it lists the HDS. John

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really want a Marti on my cat. I'll look into getting one after I get it running again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts