Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new pump with internal res, new lines, new belt, rebuilt cylinder, all tight and ready to go,,,fire up car, touch the steering wheel, the wheel goes bonkers and turns back and forth, l to r very fast,,,,never had this problem before!

Fluid level good, a bit foamy though, I think maybe air in the system,,,maybe has to bleed?

I have a cell video, can seem to post it but man does it look crazy!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The ones coming down from the res and back up to the res must be OK, b/c they really can' fit or go on any other way.

You are saying that the two small lines from the valve to the cylinder are crossed up but they are inline and parallel with each other so I would have to actually "cross" them to make them right?
Thx- J

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Yes, that is what Rob is saying.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I hope i don't end up doing this. Have seen it done half a dozen times already over the last year. At least after reading all these posts I will know what is wrong when it does happen.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Happens a lot it seems. So if one can't remember then break out the digital camera and take a shot so you can compare for certainty.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Maybe someone could post a pic so that we all know what "Right" looks like?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Here you go J,

From my car during the build last spring.

Regards,

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Look at that sway bar and them purty little headers! Wowowowowow!!!
Yeah, I always wonder when I see pics like that. I'm always like "holy [email protected]! I woudn't want to drive it for fear of getting it dirty!"
/sigh... I'm afraid if I ever had a car THAT clean, it would become more of a piece of art than a car. Don't get me wrong ~ for years now I've told the wife that I want to convert our dining room (which is used 2 days a year) into a car showroom and put an Eliminator or Boss302 in there :) Maybe set it up like a drive-in theater, with a big old flat panel on the wall in front of the car, and get a speaker setup that will pipe the sound in through the car speakers. Hrm... Power Ball dreaming a bit there, I'm sure :)

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Hey NFN Mike, but the undercarriage still, for the most part, looks like that after 1600 miles. I have had to do a little cleaning and sprucing up, like the sway bar for instance, it is now black as it is supposed to be, the yellow Zinc Dichromate did not hold up so well.

Having a lift helps as I can detail the underside almost as well as what we like to do the the topside.

In short, I know the feeling very well of not wanting to drive it for fear of messing things up, but I built it to drive and they do not stay new forever. Granted it would stay newer longer if not driven, but where is the fun in that?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts