Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to install an Eliminator hood scoop I recently won on Ebay on one of my 69 Cougars. Is there any information anywhere that will tell me the correct spot to position it? I will also be adding a rear spoiler and the same positioning info on it would also be helpful. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Look on the underside of your hood. On the iner bracing around the center you will see 6 2/8" holes 2 on each side and 2 at the rear. You woll also see 4 about 1.25" holes at the corners. these are the locations for the factory scoop. Wht I do is drill out the 6 smaller holes to 3/8" or there about, locate tyhe scoop to these holes and mark the 4 corner holes and drill them out. Then make sure you put some paint on the bare metal. I have done this 4 time so far. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Rear Spoiler placement

Rear Spoiler placement - Here's the measurements that Dark7068 sent me a while back: "From the side of the lid, the holes are 7 1/2 inches in to center of hole, from the back lip, they are 8 1/2 for the first hole (center), and 10 1/2 for the 2nd. hole (center). The lip measurement is from under the lip without chrome and tape tight over the bend to get the measurments."

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Any other additional comments?

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
What about the functional hole in the center for ram air?
Any pictures of an original eliminator and the measurements to cut out this opening?
I beleive that it was round but with cross sections/bars left to stabilize the hood against vibrations. Pictures and measurements are what we need.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I forgot to mention that I am missing a couple of the retaining bolts on the hood scoop. How important is it to have all of them and where can I get replacements?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts