Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everybody. i have a 68 mercury cougar XR7 with a 302 2V engine. everything is pretty much stock to my knowledge, but i want to put positraction in the rear end. one of my questions is, what type of rearend did the 68 cougar have back then? should i replace my rear end before i decide to put posi traction in? also, what kind of positraction units are the best? just for street use. thanks guys:1zhelp: :1zhelp:

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Chances are your 68 302 Cat will have an 8" rear end. Posi rears are out there for the 8" rears, it is just that they're not all that common. You can try looking at V6 or V8 Mustang IIs, especially the Cobra IIs for posi center sections. You can also try Granada/Monarchs, then Maverick/Comets. My buddy just found a 3.40 posi rear out of a mid-sixties midsize (Comet I think) for just $75. You'll have to find a boneyard with older cars to find a 8" posi. He's putting it in his 54 Stude Conestoga (that's a two-door station wagon for you youngin's ;) ) that he's restomodded.

Anyway, if the metal tag is still on one of the center section bolts, just look at the lower line and right by the bolt hole you'll see the ratio. 3.00 = 3.00 open 3L00 = 3.00 posi and so forth.

Happy hunting!

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts