Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
No, because you'd have to specify port shape/size and port location. You'd have to know if the heads have been milled, intake has been milled, header flange size/shape.... Just too many factors.

Normally 'port matching' an intake will maybe gain you 10-15hp at the higher RPM ranges IF there is a gross port mis-match.

Personally, I have World Windsor Seniors on my 393W that were professionally ported by someone before I bought them, but at least they were port-matched to a Fel-Pro 1262 intake gasket size/shape port (which is HUGE in comparison to a stock SBF head port). I spent nearly eight hours with a die grinder and carbide burrs matching that head port size/shape/location into my new Edelbrock Torker intake - and I was blending it in probably two inches into the ports of the intake manifold! Was it worth it? Maybe. My top RPM is only 5500-6000rpm, so what gain can be attributed to the porting I really can't say for sure because I didn't do a before/after apples-to-apples comp -- I ported the new intake before I ever bolted it up. Overall, maybe a tenth or tenth and a half quicker and 2mph faster than my previous Summit 'Stage 2' (Performer RPM clone). So how much was the port match and how much was the change from the crappy Summit (terrible core shift front-to-back) dual-plane to the Edelbrock single-plane? You tell me.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
What do you expect out of it? You're still gonna lose low-end to mid-range torque compared to a dual plane. That means under 3500rpm. Too many variables to say what it will do on your car... Dependent on cam, compression, weight, rear gear, converter stall....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts