Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for those that have seen my 67 know that it will need alot of this stuff. i plan to use it on the floors and under the roof after i pull the hedliner out. also in the drip rails and A pillars. by question is this though.... for the drip rails i will need to fill holes as well besides actually killing the rust. will i be able to apply filler over the POR-15? is it a sandable product? will i have any adhesion problems when using something alont the lines of USC All Metal filler or Evercoats Metal 2 Metal? how about if i choose to lead the areas? will the POR-15 stick to that? how is its heat resitance just in case i will be welding near it? and seam sealer... more adhesion issues. just a few thoughts that im sure ill need to address.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Hey sixt9coug,

For the best results you should prep the area with Marine Clean and then Metal Ready before hitting those areas with any putty or fillers. Thenmake sure the filler has been sanded before applying POR-15 over the whole thing.

If you feel more comfortable with putting down the POR-15 first just make sure that you get the filler down before the POR-15 fully cures (within 24 hours) and top coat it again ASAP after the filler dries.

On any areas that you lead just make sure that the lead has been hit with Metal Ready to etch it before putting POR-15 down.

As for heat exposure, POR-15 can handle temps up to about 600 degrees, so as long as you're not getting too close you should be fine.

If you ever need to coat over POR-15 that has cured you will need to sand it to give it something for the next coat to bite onto. Beware though, that POR-15 will gum up your sandpaper, so plan on using more than you might think if you need to do this.

Thanks!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts