Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do i make a poor mans posi? any pics? what do i weld together? any info will help

·
Registered
269 Posts

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
We used to add an extra shim behind each side gear. This put enough preload in to make a "posi" under straight line acceleration. Maybe not the best way to do it, but it worked.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
An 8" open is the same as a 9" open mechanically. By that I mean that they work the same way. In fact they share a lot of the same parts. As I recall the side and spider gears are the same, but I could be mistaken on that one.

·
Registered
103 Posts
MIG the shiat out of all four corners of where the Spider gears mesh, front and back.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Yep. That will lock it.
That was plan B for our street cars. :D

·
11,000 Posts
Yep, that will get you or an innocent bystander killed too. That's why NHRA and IHRA don't allow mini spools or welded spiders, several fatal accidents. Absolutely insanely stupid to do now that you know the consequences.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I thought that they (mini-spools) had been banned years ago, but they are still for sale in Summit, Jegs, etc. What are they used for? They're no good for anthing except straight ahead....

·
11,000 Posts
They are used for getting people hurt. I don't know how Jeg's and Summit would be able to defend themselves against a lawsuit resulting from a widow of a victim suing. Of course NHRA and IHRA don't inspect the innards of your axle. They simply put it into the rule books to protect themselves from liability.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Royce Peterson said:
Yep, that will get you or an innocent bystander killed too. That's why NHRA and IHRA don't allow mini spools or welded spiders, several fatal accidents. Absolutely insanely stupid to do now that you know the consequences.
What kind of fatal accidents?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Please educate me on the dangers of the mini-spool (thanks in advance). I was thinking about using one that I have setting around for some straight line fun using a 9" rear and 10" drag radials.

Is it the cross shaft the weak point, the limited axle spline engagement or ? Same problems with a full spool? Is a locker the only sanction legal alternative?

I've made alot of left turns using mini-spools but the track surface and tires generally created more of a cushion had less shock transfer to the spool than a hard launching drag vehicle with monster slicks.

sic67nes what type of driving are you looking to do? I haven't tried a locked spool on the street, it seems like it would be a pain to drive. Possibly lots of tire squalling around every turn along with tread loss. Oh yeah someone said the safety word. Driving an early Cougar on the streets/highway with a locked rear in the rain could put you in the danger zone.

·
Registered
103 Posts
There are thousands of off-roaders running spools and welded diffs everywhere. I know and wheel with several people who run welded diffs and several more with spools. (I used to have one in my Toyota)
Anybody with more info?

·
11,000 Posts
Rear axle problems happen in several ways at the drag strip. Off the line, the mini spool shears and the car essentially has lost one axle, so it travels in the direction of the disconnected axle. Typically that means going into the wall or into the car in the next lane.

At the big end a welded spool will fail because the car is often using every bit of available horsepower and has good traction. The welded spider or mini spool snaps and again the car goes wildly off towards either the wall or the car in the next lane. Sometimes they turn so sharply the car starts tumbling over and over before knocking out the timing lights.

Out in the fields in some old rusty Toyota pickup is a lot different situation. If it breaks there you are just stuck in the mud. Not many off road Cougars here, at least I have not seen any.

Save your money until you can do it right.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Out in the fields in some old rusty Toyota pickup is a lot different situation. If it breaks there you are just stuck in the mud.
Maybe I'm being a little defensive but my friends "old rusty Toyota" has a 502, dual t-cases, 1-ton diffs, 44" tires, 4 links with coil overs front and rear and competed at 4Wheelers Top Truck Challenge last year.
We have a little more going on then getting stuck in a skeg field.:D

·
Registered
698 Posts
Mini spools and welded spiders

Listen to Royce. You don't want to kill yourself or an innocent bystander just to save a couple of bucks. Besides, if you weld your spiders and have a good set of rear tires, you will probably break the weld or an axle going around a sharp curve.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Mini spools have their place...........

Mini spools are a low cost way to positively lock rear wheels and are fine to use in the right application....that is why summit and others sell them.
I have used them for years in my dirt track open wheel modified, with a 750 horse engine. On some track conditions I'd hook up so hard the front end would be quite high in the air...........I never had one break. Not once! Even running on the mile tracks at Duquoin and Springfield Illinois at 140 mile per hour no problems.
Just pushing the race car in the shop with front wheels turned was some work, however, so I think driving on the street would be awkward with the turning,etc.
This might help explain to some of you the application of the mini spool and why lots of them are sold every year..........Keith

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Kieths Right!

At last someone with some actuall experiance steps in and clears the air. Also the only time I ever seen one fail it sheared the pin and when that happens you lose power to both rear wheels at the same time so I'm scraching my head trying to figure out how that "throws" you into the other lane.

That said the mini spool has no place in a drag car or a street car. A full spool is the ticket for the drag strip.

I myself, like Kieth have been there and done that. mm

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ditto Modified7, with only 600hp on clay - no problems.

Coincidence > I pitted next to a guy last night that talked about breaking a mini-spool last week. It was on a complete new chassis with a new floater. They discovered that one of the axles was too short with only around 1/4" spline engagement. It shattered the spool.

Short night last night. It started raining during my heat race and was pouring down by the time I got back to the trailer. Mine was the last heat so I didnt know if the track was going to give out rain checks or call it a show. Got the car loaded and the rain slowed a bit so I walked to the pay window to see what they decided. No one was at the pay window. I started back to the trailer when golf ball sized hail started falling. Fortunately I didn't need my helmet to shield me from any head shots. Minor hail damage on truck and trailer.

All in all it was great to get back in a car after the winter hiatus.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Stories of people being shunted into walls by broken spools sound like urban legend to me.
I helped construct a v8 s10 a couple of years ago that had enough power on tap to run low 6's in the 1/8th
It was tagged and inspected for the street.
The owner insisted on a mini-spool for the rear instead of a locker, auburn, or posi.
Long and short of it was that his product was a truck that would go like stink in a straight line. But, throttle oversteer was the only way to really get it to turn. M&H should have bought the guy a birthday cake and a stripper for all the DOT slicks he used up riding around on the street.
And welded spiders are a bad idea on a street car. But much less problem for a mud slinger. Cougars aren't mudslingers though.
Go scrounge in the junkyard and find a Bronco or a cop car or a wagon with a traction lock if you need one and don't have the money of the "numbers matching" crowd.
I bought a 66 stang for the roller rocker/solid cam boss 351 replica engine for 500 bucks. I was surprised to find a tricked out c4, and a detroit locker in the rear.
You never know what you'll find when you start scrounging.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts