Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I replaced all the front engine parts timing chain set, balancer, water pump.
So here is the problem, idels fine at 6, 8 10 degrees timing. When I accelerate while driving it shutters and bogs down until i get to a cruising speed and the settles down but still shutters abit. When in park and rev the throttle seems ok.When I accelerate the the engine and front end shacks. When I did the timing chain set I made sure the timing marks on the sprokets lined up before I pulled the old off and installed the new with the rotor pointing at the #1 spark plug position on the distributor and the balancer at TDC. So why the acceleration issue? :bloated:

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Sounds like you have everything set up right.? Since it's only giving you trouble under load I'd double check that all cylinders are firing and in the correct order (no wire crossed) and no vac leaks. Did you have the dizzy out at all?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes I did take the dizzy otu but marked it and put it back in the same position. Doubled checked the firing order and all good. I have noticed if I push the brakes some what hard it will sometimes die on me. Could it ba a vac leak in the brake booster maybe?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I am betting VAC leak... if you own a Cougar you should have a Vacuum tool in your box!

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Also verify that your vacuum advance plate isn't stuck.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
+2 sounds like a nasty leak. Cap off everything vac wise see what ya got - then try to track down what

·
Registered
170 Posts
I am betting VAC leak... if you own a Cougar you should have a Vacuum tool in your box!
I went a step further and replaced my non-functioning rallye clock with a NOS Sun vacuum gauge. So I can monitor manifold vacuum real time from the driver's seat. Glad I did it. C'mon, a clock?? :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a very similar problem and it ended up being the brake booster and master cyl. - master cyl was leaking fluid into the brake booster and pow!! bad diaphragm. i'd check the booster with a vac pump such as the mityvac, i believe it should hold some where between 12 and 17 inmg. mine failed so bad the needle on my gauge didnt move. hope this helps

1 - 8 of 8 Posts