Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced their front end rubber bushings (sway bar, control arm, spring seat, shocks ... ect.) with polyurethane? If so did it do anything? What about the rear leaf bushings?

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
I have poly bushings in the rear of my car, totlly awesome. Well worth it, I havent done the front end yet, but will when its back on the road.

Rick

·
Registered
163 Posts
The Poly bushings are great for most applications except for the strut arms. Use the Moog replacement units instead. The Poly's will not have *enough* give to them which can be problematic.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dark, What kind of difference could you tell in the rear end? Are you talking about just the leaf bushings? I'm surprised only that change would make such a big difference.

Republik, are you talking about the lower control arm bushings?

Thanks

·
Registered
163 Posts
I was referring to the strut arm (or strut rod, whichever) bushings.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
It stops deflection on the shackels and front eye bushings. Rubber will deflect when you tirn, poly doesnt, so it gives a tighter rear (just what we all want, a tighter rear,lol).

Rick

·
Registered
206 Posts
As stated in the previous posts the rubber is a softer compound than the poly. Therefore, there's more potential for sloppiness in the components if you use rubber. However, poly has been known to squeek. My brother in laws Blazer was terrible after he redid his suspension bushings in poly (could just be because it was a Chevy product...). There's also polygraphite and midolyne manufactured bushing now that are suppose to be hard like regular polyurethane, but be self lubricating.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts