Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Don't know if anyone here has been using them . I use them for stripping paint and rust , they remove it quickly and clean with out any conceivable metal removal . Now the only wrong is I will over spin them on my electric grinder at 20 K rpm , I have never had one break . They will tear if you catch a sharp edge and it will sting when it hits bare skin .

I did the whole Model A with them and used about 7 wheels . I picked them up at HF for about $5 each .

As with any abrasive wheel they will generate heat so you have to keep them moving . I usually hit a area lightly then go back over it and just keep taking a little at a time off . This allows cooling of the metal , it took me a total of about a hour to do a quarter panel .

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Well - that's a good tip I coulda used about 4 years or so ago....I tried to DA sand the car and it was taking forever an costing a ton for all the 60 grit paper I was going through, so i switched to aircraft stripper and it wasn't super fast - and smelled like @ss, and you didn't dare do more than you could get in one application or you had to chisel it off. It got the job done, but I wouldn't recommend that process to anybody, The only good thing about it was the garage wasn't a dust bowl and I ended up with a 3 gal bucket of hardened paint I just tossed. Scraping around tight bends isn't much fun either - and the stuff will burn your skin if you leave it on to long!

·
Registered
726 Posts
We used a similar product made by 3M .... Scotch-Brite™ Clean and Strip Disc. Worked super good; just a lot of dust!! We needed about 20 discs to strip the Eliminator.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah the A was thinned skinned on paint , but I will be trying them on the Cougar when the time comes .

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Badcat I stripped the Mustang down with a D A , 80 grit then to 180 grit .

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Castes no lie on the speed and the finish it leaves . Cheaper then some one sand blasting as long as there are no pitting involved , but there again small pressurized blaster is worth its weight in gold .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts