Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I need some info about polishing an edelbrock 289 performer aluminum intake. I got started using a file and some steel wool. and surprisingly - it looks good! I need some advice on how to go about it. Anyone here done it before, and if so, what works best? Thanks - Chad

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
One word will say it all dude...

DREMEL

Go to Sears or Home Depot and get one. They have a little polishing kit that will help with the final shine too...

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got one but some how I managed to lose the battery pack - but I still have the bits so i've been using the bits in my little hand held, cordless makita drill. It works alright, but those dremel bits only last a few minutes. :( - Chad

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Hey Chad, check out the eastwood company, they have some nice kits for doing intakes. I would suggest having the manifold bead blasted first, it will clean it up and maybe make the polishing job a little easier.mm

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
There are different types of bits for your Dremel. Some are harder than others and should last longer. The battery operated Dremels aren't as good. The one I had eventually wouldn't take a charge at all. You should clear coat it when you are done to preserve your work!

Tim B

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good idea Tim - what do you recommend I use to clear coat it with? - Chad

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
I had mine HPC coated when I finished polishing - this is the ceramic coating they put on exhausts. Has great durable finish and just wipe off any fuel, dirt, etc

Leon

·
Registered
18 Posts
Another place that has some better prices than eastwoods on polishing supplies is:

http://www.caswellplating.com/

I bought quite a bit from them, as I'm attempting to polish some older Keystone wheels. It's quite time consuming. If I were paying myself even min. wage I would have been better of just buying some new Welds :D based on the time spent so far.

I imagine an intake is really a pain based upon on all the nooks and crannys.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know it's going to be tough, but honestly I have nothing better to do... I need a project now that my car is finished, although I am very tempted just to throw it on in anticipation of the added horse power I will get from it.. - Chad

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Chad, something you might look into instead of the dremel is a electric die grinder. I bought a Makita years ago and it is one of the best things I ever bought. It uses a regular 1/4" collet just like the air die grinders. It will be great for polishing your manifold and you dont need a big air compressor to run it. I used mine for porting heads when I used to race and I havent been able to wear it out and I still grab for it all the time for them odd jobs, you know the ones, that piece that just wont fit. mm

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll certainly look into that MM. Thanks for the tip - Chad

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
how about a cut off tool from harbor freight?? just a suggestion, got mine for like $15. and im sure you can get an attachment for it that will do the job. Granted, ive never done polishing with it before, but it paid for itself long ago. under the abusive hands of mine, its still held up fine ( abusive----- oiled only twice since ive had it and mainly used for grinding down welds on cars and cutting out rust patches still works like champ) http://harborfreight.com/

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
That cut off tool wont work for polishing. There is no way to mount abraisive burrs or buffs. Besides I was suggesting the electric die grinder because not every avarage Joe has a big enough air compressor to run a air die grinder for hours on end.mm

·
Registered
5 Posts
alum. intake polish

hi chad,
haven't been on this site in a while - you probably have already put the finish on your alum. intake - but i thought i'd give you my two cents worth anyway - what worked great on my 428 P.I. alum. intake was a shot of bead blasting by a local shop($25.00) - and then four coats of high temp. clear coat urethane- it's been 1 1/2 years and still looks great. rick

1 - 15 of 15 Posts