Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my polished aluminum Ford Racing valve covers for my Cleveland. They came with several large scratches, and rather thatn deal with the dumb asses at PAW I would like to know if I could polish out the scratches.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Damn, those are pretty. :)

If the scratches aren't too deep, you shouldn't have a problem getting them out with a buffing wheel, or with a dremel if you're careful.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
look for anything with an aluminum oxide additive if they are not deep say more than a .007 or so than mothers metal polish will take them out and allot of good old elbow grease. unless your really comfortable with a power tool i would suggest avoiding them as they will destroy a nice peice in a very quick time if your not carefull.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now that I have had time to cool off, I decided that I'll just send them back.....again...... the sent me the wrong part number the first time. What happened was the breather cap that was packed with the valve covers rubbed through the foam paper used to pack them.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Ooooo, Ooooo! Me like those covers! PAW you say? How much $$$?

I still have a set of the old Mickey Thomson black crinkle painted finned aluminum covers on the 351C-4V in AlphaCat. Those would look nice in the nice, freshly restored engine bay. Then again, maybe I'll stick with the M/Ts just for the nostalgia!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts