Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry about asking this again, someone did send me the correct gap measurement but for the life of me I can't find it. 351 2V 4 brrl holley, isky cam, bored out to 0.20, points, equals what gap?

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Dayle, dual diaphragm is.021 inches.Single diaphragm is.017 inches

Bruce

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"dual diaphragm is.021 inches.Single diaphragm is.017 inches"
And what do I have, sorry, you have lost me?

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Dual diaphragm is 2 vacuum hoses. Single is 1 vacuum hose(sorry!)

Bruce

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
POINT DWELL: 28 DEG. -- POINT GAP: 0.017"

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, one pipe from vacumn advance, which equals 0.017 which equals 0.43, I hope you mean vacumn advance. Does it make any difference if I have a racing cam in, bearing in mind that the btdc changes from 6 to about 11 btdc

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
No, it shouldn't. The point gap sets the amount of time the coil is saturated. When the points open, the magnetic field collapses and that is what gives you the spark. If you want a lesson on transformer theory, you better hit the library...

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"If you want a lesson on transformer theory, you better hit the library..."
Don't be nasty, I can't think when I am under pressure, will realise that it was a dumb question when I re-read my post tomorrow...............:)

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I didn't mean to sound nasty, it's just very complicated and if you were interested, you should get a book on it...(sorry again!)

Bruce

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was joking, sorry, and it would be interesting to find out more, its just a case of finding the time................:) :) :) :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Make sure you set the dwell or points gap which ever way you set them first then set the timing second. The dwell will change you timing.
Radcat

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts