Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The guy who is helping with the work on my 68 asked me last night "why would you have a starter wire on the positive post on the solenoid, and an exciter wire on the S terminal?"
He seems to think that the starter has 12V to it all the time, and that is why my battery wants to drain after a day or two...
I didn't wire the starter in, the local shop that did my trans installation for me did it that way.
Anyone here have some insight, on wiring a PMGR starter, with the 'old' style 4 post starter solenoid?

·
Registered
390 Posts
I just put one on my boat I/O 351W. The 4 post solenoid remains in the system, you key start wire stays on the S terminal. What should happen is the positive cable that leads to the starter now goes directly to the battery or the other side (hot side) of the solenoid. The little red wire from your new starter now goes on the switched post of the solenoid (big one on the left) where the old starter cable originally was.
There are a couple different ways to make it work, there are diagrams available on-line at your finger tips.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1 - 3 of 3 Posts