Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:angryfi: Just got my rebuilt motor back yesterday (after nearly a month) and decided to relace the freeze plugs in the both heads. Good thing I did, I got the first one out and MAJOR CORROSION in there! It completely blocked the water passage! I'm not angry though, I'm way past that! He did the headwork and the engine assembly and "supposedly" replaced the freeze plugs with the brass ones I left there, that he painted over. What a crock! Guess I'm making a call in the morning, huh?

So now I have a painted up, assembled 302 motor with 351W heads with so much corrosion in the water passages there's no way that motor would have lasted 2 days. Can you say overheat, how about blown head gaskets, or the very special, "cracked block" situation. I know what I'm going to do, but what would YOU GUYS do???

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Make a phone call.
"Hey man, come get this engine you didn't do the work on that I paid you to do."
Angry people say and do things they regret. Be cool.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I agree with Andy, but only somewhat.
I don't think I'd trust him to do anymore "supposed" work on my engine. If he can't complete the simple things (freeze plugs), what about the more serious things?? And, unless you open the engine, has he done anything you wanted properly??
A bit of a dilemma; tough decision.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm hearin' ya guys... Yeah, CougarShaman, I agree about the "be cool" part. Jumping in with both feet without looking can be a problem. The guy does great assembly work but his "hot tank" ain't worth you know what. It's really just an enclosed cabinet that sprays hot water. Wait, isn't that called a "washing machine"? :) I spoke with him awhile back and he doesn't beadblast the head because of the risk on his part of not getting all the sand out. Reasonable, but at least taking the time to pop 2 heads worth of freeze plugs (4 total) before throwing it in the "hot water cabinet" doesn't sound too unreasonable does it. Course, should have done it myself (freezeplugs) then I know it wouldn't have created that problem. I pulled out the other 3 f-plugs (2 on the driver's side and the last remaining on the passanger side and not nearly as bad. Course the 2 small drain plugs in the block were completely blocked up. Sheez! I'm scared now to pull the freezeplugs on the block. :)

Any special thing I need to do to put new brass freeze plugs in other than guide them in with a socket, extension and a few taps of a mallet? It's only be like 20 years since I've done this stuff, so any silicone on them or ATF or anything prior to installation?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Collect your thoughts and facts. Then go to the shop, find who's done the work, look him in the eye, and state"We're going to have a talk, and I'M GOING TO DO ALL THE TALKING".Once you start, it's amazing how easy the words flow. Don't stop or be intimidated. Aren't you tired of incompetence most everywhere you go and with so many people you deal with? Well, are you? Are you going to accept slipshod work or phony excuses? I didn't think so.
I went through a very similar scenario as ago.I put it to the guy real simple, in SIMPLE 6TH GRADE LANGUAGE-If the problem is not resolved to my instructions, the shop will become "Lou's Automotive". Comprende? Or shall I have my attorney contact your attorney?
Don't back down from those ****sticks.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
after being in a similar situation, i wouldnt do anything, other than reporting them to the bbb, after my 347 ordeal, (too long to start in your thread) buy a good gasket set, tear it back down yourself, and check everything!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
IF YA WANT ANYTHING DONE RIGHT........

Similar thing happened to me too. I took my block in to have things set up and valve train geometry double checked and just put the heads on loosley so they could torque everything.....when I got it back the heads were still loose!! I ended up buying a timing wheel and dial indicator set and doing it myself anyway... Now that he's out of business I got the last laugh.

Vote with your feet - and bad mouth 'em every chance you get, on every site you can. Facebook has quite a bit of punch these days!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts