Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a real difference in plug wires? Why I'm wondering is I have a set for a Dodge ram 1500 that I never used. Was wondering if there is a real difference other than length. Sounds stupid I know but I've never actually wonder this until I found them

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Yeah, the dizzy cap end is probably different from the old style ones. Some you can take the ends off and remake them - others you can't very easily. If you can get the rubber ends to slide down away from the connector you will see what I mean (some are molded around the connector and won't do you any good) - you can use a dab of silicone grease to make them slide easier....then you could cut to lenght and re-crimp the connectors assuming you don't destroy them taking them appart! Worth a try if you are replacing them anyway. (Note how the core bends around the coating and under the connector/crimp when you get ready to crimp) and don't crush it - just crimp so that it bites into the coating securely so it won't pull off the next time you remove it.....

·
Registered
992 Posts
The true measure of any plug wire is the resistance, usually in ohms per foot. I always measure this with my multimeter to assess plug wires. As mentioned above, there are the physical aspects of the wires that you need to consider in order to make your dodge wires work. Once you are done doing any mods to the wires, I'd suggest measuring each length, and find the ohms per foot of each wire, and se if they are in spec. For example, I bought an 89 mustang donor car for my efi cougar drivetrain, and it had accel 8mm wires. They were dirty, but cleaned up easy, and no burns and both ends looked good, so I researched the rating of these wires new and mine were well within spec (don't quote me but I believe it was 5000-8000 ohms per foot). I probably would have thrown them out blindly in my younger days.

Doing this check will also ensure any recrimping you might do is correct ( not abnormally high resistance). Plus give peace of mind.
Kevin

1 - 3 of 3 Posts