Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Are the plug leads supposed to be tied together like this?
BTW, the PO painted the covers that lovely shade of red, they will be removed and hopefully chromed as soon as I find a good reason for taking them off, he painted everything he could red?:rolleyes:
Will also try and convert the engine back to its original colour:D

·
Registered
614 Posts
Most folks would say no, they're not supposed to be zip-tied like that. The chance of the wires cross-firing is definitely greater when they're bunched up like that. Spend the $8.00 and get yourself a set of plug wire dividers. Looks neater, too.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
usually there is wire holders on the covers and dividers so the wires clip into. I agree and buy some dividers and seperate them, making sire they dont touch, especally number 7 and 8 wires which might cause a misfire and bought to ignite at the same time.

Rick

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I saw on a 302 the other day this really smart looking chromed divider for the leads, it fits along the side and each lead branches off to its correct plug, looks nice and neat, got a pic somewhere, horrendously expensive at our rip off stores, when I get to sail that boat over for spares I must remember to get a set:D:D

·
Registered
240 Posts
yea thats what i have, they work good and look good too. the po had some like plastic one's on that worked pretty good, they didn't mount to anything, but they still kept them separate

·
Registered
889 Posts
What is it with red the new hot rod issue built up a Ford 390 and the block was red in the magazine.Must be a new fad.I hate new fads.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well this guy painted her red about 7 years ago, long before they had the internet and could check on things like that:D At least he redid the entire engine [new pistons etc] when he did it, one thing going in his favour, for me the hassle is not the covers, but how to get rid of the red on the engine, the entire block etc is painted red:(

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I hear thee Dan. I dont even like chrome. maybe its just me but i think chrome traps heat in the engine. i would paint my block black to radiate heat, but its gonna be dk ford blue. dont want to start a new fad.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've got the "How to restore your cougar correctly the first time"
info from CCOA on file, am going to try and follow their guidelines, its actually embarrassing showing her engine to anyone, does not do her justice at all.

·
Registered
175 Posts
If you're having trouble finding wire looms here's something you can do. Take a wire tie and put it around all 4 leads very loosely. Next, take another wire tie and wrap it around the first one between two wires. Repeat two more times until all 4 wires are seperated. Now alternately tighten all 4 ties until the leads are pulled together very neatly. Works great and doesn't look too bad either. :D

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Sorryy 72.... that red is not right..... And I like red.... but on the outside....

Don

·
Registered
614 Posts
Ah, the old zip-tie treatment. The NASCAR special, I forgot about that one. Wayne's right, that one doesn't look too bad either.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the hint with the zip ties/wire ties or, as we call them here, electrical ties. Sounds like a neat plan.
I went to the local Midas store [Auto parts store] and the guy gave me 2 lead dividers for free, but I may still have to seperate them somewhere else.
Don, I also don't like the red, it was the first thing I noticed when we saw the car, but it will be changed, the 72's engine is black, and it looks cool, cover's are chromed, the whole set-up looks nice.
See the picture at:
http://www.mercurycougar.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=284&papass=&sort=1&thecat=506

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
the black looks good, the red just looks to chebbyish. the purest in me has gotta stick with the dark ford blue

Don

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What shade of blue is that Rick, we get a spray paint here, for engines, that is called Ford Blue, but it is a lighter blue, and does not look quite right [to me at any rate] your blue looks better, is it the genuine colour that it is supposed to be?

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
depending on the year... Some fords did have the lighter blue. your car should have the dark blue...

Don

·
Registered
614 Posts
A lot of auto parts stores will carry both "Ford Blue's", especially if they carry the Plasti-Kote line. I've found that the light blue looks downright silly. Plus, it doesn't hold up as well as the dark blue for some reason...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts