Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
of cougars with the stock rally rims( i dont know the name of them) that came with 1970 cougars. also what size tires fit nicely under our cars im looking to fill the wheel well a little more.
thanks
john

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
also hit the links section there is a tire size calculator link in there in the enthusiast section i do beleive.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i think they are called magnum 500's. now that i did a little research. are these the same as factory ones? what size rim do you guys recommend?
who sells them?
thanks
john

·
Registered
448 Posts
rims

Magnum 500's did not come stock on Cougars. The 1970 Cougars were available with the styled steel wheel, various hubcaps and the slotted eliminator type steel wheel. I believe all of the wheels are available from Cascade Classics.
Paul Garvin
69 XR7 Convertible

·
Registered
763 Posts
Thanx dark 7068 for using my picture of the Magnum 500 rims, but on this cougar are tires of 275x60x15 in the rear, and in the front i used 245x60x15. They fit perfect, and does not scrub any paint of while i turn. (Just to be correct)

·
Registered
183 Posts
You can buy these wheels new from Summit. I just bought a pair for my Cougar and they were very affordable. And someone correct me if I'm wrong but the magnums were offered on the Eliminator in 70 right??

Kirk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok let me get this straight.
rear rims 15" x 8 w/ 4.5 back spacing
front rims 15" x 6 w / 4.5 back spacing
rear tires 275/50/15
front tires 225.60/15
ok whos got good pics of these like front and rear shots, just like to see how it sits under the car
thanks
john

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
428CJ, I just used your car as an example of the rims John wanted to see, I wasnt sure of your tire size :)
I had 15x8 Magnums on the back with 295/50/15 on mine, but I dont have a good picture of them on (its all apart and I sold the rims). The 295's were real close so 275's would be a better fit. If you want to keep the same profile, go with a 224/60/614 profile tire on the front, I had 14x6 on mine, and it did look kinda drag style :D

Rick

·
Registered
329 Posts
wheels

Don't change the wheel size keep them the same front and rear size 15 x 7 tires front and rear same size P235/60SR15.It makes the car even and the way It should Look.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
but if he goes 275/50/15 back, he should use a 50 series 15 tire in front or a 60 series 14 in front to even it out.

Rick

·
Registered
448 Posts
magnums

The magnums look great on a cougar, and I really like them. But they were not a factory wheel on any cougar from 67 to 70. I am not sure whether they were offered on the 3rd gen cats. Steve P. has them on his 69 R code convertible and they look great.
Paul Garvin

·
Registered
329 Posts
wheels & tires

blwn5spd their is no spacers being used on the front or rear of my cat. The wheels and Tires fit just right. And with the same size wheels and tires on front & rear make It look so sweet.Sorry I have no photos of the front or rear that you can see the wheels & tires,I would take some for you but my cat is asleep in a 10x15 storage bin.70 XR7 Ragtop

1 - 17 of 17 Posts