Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please ID this hose, it runs between the waterpump and the block, [351 Cleveland], and also tell me what type of hose it should be. This is on the 70. No comments on the engine colour please.:)

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
That would be the bypass hose, It the same type of hose as your heater hoses but it was useally a molded hose because of the sharp bend it makes... hey what's that vacuum line off of??

and honestly Dayle,,,, RED.!!:1poke: :1poke: :1poke:

Sorry I cound not resist

Don

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Then again.... is your heater even hooked up???? wait... I'm going from memory here but on a 351 C do you have a little hose that ( maybe a couple of inches/CM) that is directly under that hose running from the block to the waterpump? Now that I look at them I think those are the hose connections to the heater core.....

Don

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats okay Don, I'm getting used to it, if only I had an excuse to take the engine out I could repaint it Dark Corporate Blue, but will have to wait for something to pack up. Worst thing is the PO had it powder coated red, so its even more of a hassle to 'remove' it, he had just about everything powder coated red:(
Now, what vacumn hose is off? Okay, I see it, good question, will have to check tomorrow, you got any ideas?? Could be the vacumn/advance, I think the carb was off when I took these pictures. Okay here's the rest of that picture, it is off the v'a, the pic was taken just before I took the carb off to clean it up.

If you look at the left hand picture of that bypass hose you can just make out that it is bent closed, it has obviously been replaced by the PO with incorrect hose [again], what damage can this cause, I am very wary of hoses being wrong since the 72's hose incident. I suppose if I went to any junkyard and scratched thru their hoses I would find a molded one to fit.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
A Couple Photos

Here's how the hoses should be connected. The first pic shows the engine connections, and the second shows how it's connected at the heater terminal. From there a single hose goes to the heater.

If you want full-sized pics, let me know, and I'll e-mail them to you.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Barry, could you e-mail the larger pics to me, e-mail address sent to you via private message.
Do I even have a heater in the 70 std, can't remember seeing any controls inside for one, but there again there is a great big empty hole where the controls would be, somewhere near where the non-exsistent radio would be.
Don, I can't remember seeing any other hose there, will have to check, I can't pick up anything off any of my pictures.
BTW just realised I never posted the rest of that picture......that I mentioned.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does'nt look as if I have anything for a heater.......

So what damage can that bypass hose cause if its bent closed?

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
It looks to me like they just bypassed the heater core completely. That's why the hose is so kinked. Your PO just ran the two heater hose ports together. It would also make me wonder if the heater core had a problem. I just did this last night on my daily driver to get me through the week until I can replace it Saturday. It went POOF and I was driving in a cloud. More than likely, if all your controls are missing as well, perhaps he also removed the entire system.

Also seeing the hazing you're getting for the red colored engine, it's making me re-think even the consideration of posting my painted engine once it's finished in a few weeks.:D

Mark

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
The bypass hose if kinked will not allow water into the water pump to keep the pump charged so it does not cavitate when thermostat is closed.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
For Jim

The hose clamps (an plug wire seperators) are manufactured by a company called Made For You.

I think Summit Racing caries their line of products, but does not show them in the catalog...you'll have to call their sales department.

I got mine at a swap meet...they're popular with the street rod guys.

·
Registered
600 Posts
LOL hey Local at least your motor is painted mine is painted rust...lol
I gotta get cracking on this thing, Anyone interested in a set of 351C Original Valve Covers? the ones that say Ford on them?
Or a original Air Cleaner?

Attachments

·
Registered
269 Posts
Local Hero said:
It looks to me like they just bypassed the heater core completely. That's why the hose is so kinked. Your PO just ran the two heater hose ports together. It would also make me wonder if the heater core had a problem. I just did this last night on my daily driver to get me through the week until I can replace it Saturday. It went POOF and I was driving in a cloud. More than likely, if all your controls are missing as well, perhaps he also removed the entire system.

Mark
I know the driving in a cloud feeling. My heater core gave out while it was raining up here in Boise and all of a sudden I thought I was an extra cast member in Cheech and Chongs "up in smoke". I did not know that radiator fluid would make such a viscous smokey haze when it is squirting out of the heater core. My first thought was that I had an electrical fire but it didnt smell like smoke.

In 2 minutes my whole car was full of haze to the point that I had to stick my head out the window to see. When I got it fixed I had to clean the whole car inside because the fog left a film on every surface.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Ray said:
The bypass hose if kinked will not allow water into the water pump to keep the pump charged so it does not cavitate when thermostat is closed.
on a 351 cleveland the coolant bypass is internal through the restrictor plate below the thermostat. blocking the heater hose fitting should not be an issue as water will still be traveling through the pump. on a windsor a folded external bypass hose would cause a problem with cavitaion. hawkrod

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Dave, why have you got one pipe and Barry has two?
Sorry, my heater knowledge is limited. Also are those the covers you are selling?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Thats a good question...lol
No they are not the ones i am selling are the original ones that were on there.
These ones on there now cost me 100 for just them:)

·
Registered
269 Posts
72cat said:
Thanks Dave, why have you got one pipe and Barry has two?
Sorry, my heater knowledge is limited.
It looks like the second heater hose/pipe is the one that is curved around and under the air filter. If you follow that one it probably goes into the firewall right next to the first one.

"what goes in has to come out"

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
"what goes in has to come out"

Thats kind of what I was figuring.
Dave, was just wondering why you want to sell those, they are cool, I have the original "Powered by Ford" ones but I really like the ones with the 'lines', oh well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts