Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im 16 and bought a 1968 mercury cougar about 3 months ago and have been working on it constantly, i bought a set of american racing ansen sprint rims but the holes are oval. i know this is because they are universal ive been looking everywhere for the offset oval washers and lugnuts but cant seem to find them anywhere? if anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Matt

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
I'm looking to get tires mounted on wheels with uni lugs too so I have this same issue. But my question is, what's the difference between using an oval washer or a round one? Unless the washer somehow centers the lug I'm not sure what the difference is.

·
5,470 Posts
Some wheels (ET wheels 'Uni-lug' being the primary culprit) used the oval washers that fit into an oval machined recess in the aluminum slot wheels. Offset-hole oval washers used for 4.5" and 5" bolt patterns, centered-hole oval washers used for 4.75".

Cragar 'Vari-fit' and others had a round recess in the wheels that accepted their own round washers with non-centered holes for 4.5" and 5" BC, and centered holes for 4.75".

Then there were companies that made direct-bolt wheels (not one-wheel-fits-all-brands). Generally, the direct-bolt wheels are better for high-horsepower applications. They are also less likely to cause vibrations due to non-centered wheels.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Thanks for the info. I didn't know if it was an esthetic thing or a functional thing. Once I get them on with the round washers I may change to oval if it'll look better.

·
Registered
51 Posts
A few years ago I bought all new lug nuts with the Uni-lug washers,
wasn't cheap though.

Most tire stores will have a supplier that still carries those items,
more than likely the tire store wouldn't have anything in stock.

I later sold the wheels off, I really didn't want 14" wheels on the car to begin with,
Keystone rims just looked period correct so I went with it.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
i bought a set of american racing ansen sprint rims
If memory serves, American Racing and Ansen were two separate manufacturers. At least they were back when I was 16.......

·
Registered
236 Posts
ET uni-lugs

I bought some new one's at one of the swap meets, one of those vendors that has tables and tables of stuff.
Back in the day I made one of those 100 mph blasts between towns, and felt a vibration coming into town. Made the corner at the 4 way and the rear wheel fell off.
Somebody has em, keep lookin.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If memory serves, American Racing and Ansen were two separate manufacturers. At least they were back when I was 16.......
Ansen sprint is a style american racing uses that looks similiar to popular ansen rims.

Matt

·
5,470 Posts
Back in the day, lots of companies had aluminum slot wheels -- ET, Cragar, Appliance, Ansen, American Racing, Indy, Shelby, Superior, and a host of others. Some made direct-bolt-pattern wheels, while others used a multi-pattern wheel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts