Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I hope someone is out there that can help me relatively quickly so I can enjoy the rest of the day. This is the first day in weeks that I've had time to tinker on ragcat and I CAN'T GET HER STARTED! Since getting the engine back together, I've been starting her every couple of weeks. The last couple of times, she wouldn't start the first time through the key. It would start right up by jumping the cellonoid and thereafter, I could stop/start with key. Today I have nothing. I have power to the top, lights, etc but no fire at the dist or coil. I'm running MSD 6AL and everything (wiring) seems fine there. Is it time for a new cellonoid or could there be another problem?
thanks in advance but please hurry! (I want to atleast hear her run today!)
Chuck:cry: :cry: :cry:

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh well. I got to tinker today, but not quite the way I had planned. Didn't have any luck getting her started, so if anyone has any suggestions between now and about Tuesday when I'll hopefully get my next chance to 'tinker' feel free to chime in. At this point I'd even try hot wiring if I knew how.
Chuck (still :cry: :mad: :cry: )

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Try replacing the starter solinoid. To hotwire it, run a piece of wire (with alligator clips) from the positive battery to the positive coil, make sure the wire doesnt hit the fan. Good luck.

Rick

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Hey Chuck,
I read your posts here and on groups. I think a lot of people are confused and think your car is turning over but not starting. I would guess that there is nothing wrong in your distributor or MSD. You have ruled out the solenoid so heres what I think. If nothing in the car works except the items that are connected to the bat terminal on the solenoid the the power is not getting thru the switch. In that case its either the switch or the plug on the firewall that plgs into the fuse box. (under the brake booster) to remove the box there is one screw in the center and you can check the connections. The only thing else is the ignition switch. If you have power to the switch, your radio & wipers...ect. work then its probably the neutral switch. Try putting it in neutral. Next grasp the steering column where a shifter would be on a colunm shift car and see if you can turn it(don't laugh) there is supposed to be a rod that goes from your trans to the column to activate the neutral switch. Try moving it to a different position if it moves freely. I think you will probably find a bad ignition switch in the end but there is no use buying parts you don't need. BTW you can remove the lock cylinder by turning it to acc and inserting a paper clip in the hole and turning it a little further then it will pull out...sorry so long all
John
wvcat

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
If you have a 69 I don't believe that you'll have the neutral switch rod in the column.
If you completely bypass the solenoid - use one side of your jumper cables to go from battery + to starter or starter side of solenoid - does the starter turn?
If so, either check for solenoid "engage" by jumping the solenoid from battery + to solenoid "s" post. The solenoid should give a healthy click.
If not, replace the solenoid.
If it does, look at the ignition switch.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
D*mn, got off track again. If you rule out starter and solenoid and get no response from the key also check the neural safety switch and try starting the car in Park and Neutral. If I remember correctly, the Neutral safety switch is in the shifter assembly.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wvcat said:
I think a lot of people are confused and think your car is turning over but not starting.
John
wvcat
John-
I'm the one that started the confusion with my first post. The car IS turning over but NOT firing. The last two times I startted it before today, it would only start the first time by jumping solenoid, but after getting it started, I could turn it off at the switch and restart it. Today, however, it wouldn't even start by jumping the solenoid, but would still turn over. I'm taking notes from all of the posts and hopefully will get a chance to look at it again when I'm off Mon or Tues. I bought a little 12v light tester kit tonight, so hopefully by the time I'm off again, I'll know just what/where/how to test whatever I need to.
thanks all
Chuck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts