Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first off hello mercurycougar.net its been a few months but I'm back and need your help. today i was driving my fathers 68 an almost got re-ended on 280 with my son in the back seat. the problem brake lights.

so Ive replaced the brake light switch that goes on the brake pedal and it works but it only illuminates if i fully brake all the way down. how do i fix this problem?:confused:

·
Registered
400 Posts
You probably got the wrong brake light switch. The switch for a non-power brake car requires a lot more pressure to activate the brake lights than a car with power brakes or you could have gotten a switch for a different car entirely. Ford made a lot of brake light switches that all look alike. I would take it back and try a different one. If the place you got the switch from does not have anything else, go to a different store.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
the aftermarket napa crapa switches are made to be universal(ie:fits nothing)there were at least 5 part # for 67/68 s/l switches---contact green sales and get a real ford switch for the correct application
doctordesoto

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
great thanks, its a 68 with disc brakes cant wait to get the correct one on giving me bad anxiety wondering if I'm going to get hit. especially when my pick up is down for a few days.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Had the same probablem myself! Everyones right on track! Got mine from mustangs unlimited! West coast classic cougars can hook you up two! taking the drivers seat out and layin down a blanket makes it pretty easy to replace!!

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
After going through 3 different "correct" light switches, I finally went to Auto Zone and pilfered through all the Ford brake light switches until I found the one with the least spring resistance- there were about 20 to choose from. I still had to go back and mod it a little so that the lights didn't stay on all the time, but that may be because off the different brake pedal I have. But, yeah, I had people running up to my window at stop lights quite frequently (police included) to tell me in a panic that my brake lights didn't work. All seems to be well now, though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts