Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting anxious to get some of my bezels chrome work done. I see that John's Classic cougar does it....any suggestions??

:cool: or :buck:???

·
Registered
442 Posts
Mike, I have been trying to contact John's for about a month now and have been unsucessfully. Phone is always busy and the web site will not upload. Is it just me? Sal

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike, I have been trying to contact John's for about a month now and have been unsucessfully. Phone is always busy and the web site will not upload. Is it just me? Sal
I hope not....I saw they offer this service. I would love to do it in the near future! I am guessin you leave messages?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Contact WCCC, they are doing (or having done) a new process that last I heard was yielding very good results. Not sure if they are in "full swing" with it yet or not.

Regards,

Bib

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I contacted them yesterday. They are not selling them yet...... He told me the guy who was doing them is taking awhile.

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Mike I was down in florida a few weeks ago and talked to some fellow cougar guys,and they said they had been waiting for a month on a few pieces they had ordered and hadnt been able to contact John either.
Again maybe something may have come up or a emergency. Ill contact my other guy and see if he has received his parts from up there yet.
John

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I called and got through, Ordered a catalog about a month ago from him and got it in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
John and his wife Dee are the only ones at the business, so if they are gone no one is there to fill in. I know if John gets to far behind they don't answer the phone for a couple of days to allow them to catch back up again. He had some help for awhile, but had to let him go when the economy went down. Keep trying or leave a message and he'll get back to you.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Just be patient... John also has expressed interest in carrying our restored bezels and I assume MU will also be carrying them. BTW, there are others doing this process, just go to the website and ask them for the nearest person in which they distribute to. As I mentioned before, not only do they look FANTASTIC but there is not a long list of restrictions on this process. For example... Yes you can get Amour-All or Windex over-spray on them and not void the warranty. Yes you can tape pictures of your girl on the dash with duct tape and peel them back off daily. Yes you can leave them exposed to direct sunlight for a decade and not worry. Same clear-coat process as your new car finish...

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Yes you can tape pictures of your girl on the dash with duct tape and peel them back off daily.
I'm not sure I can take your word on this Don. I'm pretty sure my wife would have a hissy fit. :buck:

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Does any of the older processes eventually turn yellow?

I have seen some of these plastic dash bases that were previously re-chromed, but currently look not-so-chrome.

Is there an older process out there that when first completed looks like chrome, but eventually turns to a yellow or faint gold hue???

·
Registered
256 Posts
Had my dash done by Mr G's 22 years ago. Re-chroming didn't hold up. Have another set I would like to send out. Bear in mind I sold the car 18 years ago and bought
it back last year. Thankfully they didn't rip up the recovered aqua seats I did.

·
Registered
384 Posts
John and his wife Dee are the only ones at the business, so if they are gone no one is there to fill in. I know if John gets to far behind they don't answer the phone for a couple of days to allow them to catch back up again. He had some help for awhile, but had to let him go when the economy went down. Keep trying or leave a message and he'll get back to you.

I saw John at the Columbus, Oh swap meet at Thanksgiving. He said things are hectic for him and the wife, but business is slow. I had to thank him for the leather seats he did for me they are utterly fantastic, in color, fit, and that SMELL! I know his phone bounces to different places when called, you sometimes have to wait 15 rings until the answering machine picks up.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Had my dash done by Mr G's 22 years ago. Re-chroming didn't hold up.
The problem with the original vacuum metalizing process, is that the 'chrome' finish is quite brittle. The advantage of the 'chrome paint' process is due to the durability of the urethane paint products utilized. In the process that I'm familiar with, a chrome paint is applied over a black urethane basecoat, which is then sealed with a clear urethane topcoat. If a flex additive is used with the clear (as you would use for painting a plastic/poly bumper), the end result is pretty much indestructible. If the planets align in the next couple weeks, I'll spray some test panels and post some pics of the end result for anyone interested.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
If the planets align in the next couple weeks, I'll spray some test panels and post some pics of the end result for anyone interested.
Actually the planets won't align until 2012. When the world is supposed to end, if you believe that sort of thing.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Had my dash done by Mr G's 22 years ago. Re-chroming didn't hold up. Have another set I would like to send out. Bear in mind I sold the car 18 years ago and bought
it back last year. Thankfully they didn't rip up the recovered aqua seats I did.
It usually doesn't hold up and same for the original stuff I believe. The reason is it is not chrome, it is very thin aluminum plating deposited under a vacuum, Vacuum Deposition Plating: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_deposition

The "good place" was in CV Vacuum Platers in Canada but they have packed it in: http://www.cvvacuumplaters.com/. They are selling all their equipment if anyone is looking to go into business!

Mr. G's, well, there is plenty on him on the internet.

I had my AC vent balls done by Mr. G's and they are pretty good (although they did not remove the plastic welds they put on to hold the parts worth a damn, I had to do that myself). Not cheap either, but nowhere is. Vacuum plating is, always has been and always will be, delicate.

Sounds like Don's guy has a durable process, if they can get it online for production.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have not had any chrome replated by John's, but I did have my '68 standard dashboard chrome redone by Mr. G's about 5 years ago. It still looks like it was done yesterday, though I can tell it is more delicate than the original. It sounds to me like Don Rush's process would be much more durable.

·
Supporting Vendor
1,014 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
John or Joe,

What was the cost to rechrome the Cougar dash you sent them? I have 2 '68 XR7 dashes that require new chrome.

Thanks in advance.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts