Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm guessing the trunk is pretty much the only place to fit the CD changer, but has anyone tried fixing it under the parcel shelf, if so, how did you get around the tension bars for the trunk lid. Otherwise I'll fix it to the floor, without looking, I'm also guessing the gas tank is under the middle of the trunk, so I'll be fixing to the LHS, where it won't interfer with getting the spare in and out. TIA

·
Registered
391 Posts
I had mine installed under the LH side of the rear package tray as far forward (near the rear seat back) as it can be and still clear the LH speaker. It is suspended from the package tray and has a rubber hose-type bracing that is connected to the inner wheel housing. It is not easy to spot and it I've not had any problems with vibration.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I'll take one tomorrow and post it for you.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Below is a photo of my CD changer, as installed in the trunk of my '68 standard. Note the quality of the original paint application. ;-)

Zenith Chassis 023.jpg

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the pic, "It is suspended from the package tray and has a rubber hose-type bracing that is connected to the inner wheel housing" I'm going to show this to my installer, who has carried out all my car sound requirements for the last 15yrs. I'm quite intrigued by what sort of bracing/brackets, you have used to suspend the changer from the parcel shelf, we should be able to do something similar,as both changers appear a similar dimension.I'm just waiting for a tachometer from RCCI, (one that fits into the small clock space between the main dials), to arrive and have him install everything on the same day. Thanks again, all very much appreciated.

·
Registered
391 Posts
The brackets are the universal ones that came with the CD changer; the rubber hose, something I think that the installer cut to fit and glued on (you can't see it in the photo for some reason). One thing that my installer mentioned to me is that he was careful not to mount the CD changer too close to the speaker, as he felt that the speaker magnet would affect the CD changer operation.

BTW, my Cougar's about three weeks younger than yours, with a San Jose build date of July 17th (17U).

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
My changer just has a triangular bracket that will attach it quite close to whatever you decide to attach it to, we will need to frabricate something with any length similar to what you have done.

I have documentation. ie receipts etc that the original owner took delivery of the car, 19 July 1968 and it had it's last service in USA, May 2008, by the same owner. The first NZ owner registered it here in NZ, November 2008.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Wow, it's great that you've got a car that was owned by one person for the first 40 years. Very cool.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I covered a 1x6" board with gray trunk felt and secured the changer to it, on the left side, basically below Dennis' install. The board spans the trunk from wheel-well to wheel-well and is held fixed by the spare tire.

No added holes in the car required.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Todd, that sounds like a very good solution.

·
Registered
391 Posts
That looks really good! I could not do that, as I have a rear window defogger which takes up that space.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I take it you have an original, shaft/knob style head unit? I think any more with the availability of MP3 players, IPOD etc...The compact disc in a car is obsolete..
For a hundred bucks I bought a O'reilly store brand, (name escapes me..) 150W 4 channel with front input for said MP3. Probably put regular commecial radio out of business pretty soon at this rate.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I bought the radio that WCCC sells, with CD changer/USB/iPod controller, it has a period radio face, but when it is powered on, a digital face lights up. I have pics in the garage page of this forum. I figured, if it comes with everything, I'll have it:)

The belt you can see sitting on top of the spare wheel is for the A/C compressor, next job on the list, to get the A/C up and running.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts