Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
here's before I stripped it. It's a 70 Eliminator, 351C, 4 speed, 3.91 posi rear, someone ripped off the front spoiler and the side stripping was thrashed when I bought it 11 years ago, so it came off. Looking for a front spoiler and stripping kit for it. I bought the car off an old guy in BC, and it was very rough, but managed to make it look half decent for the 4 years I drove it. It is under going a complete resto and should be ready this spring, it's been 6 years in the making. A few kids, couple dogs, a few job changes, a house move and more cars kinda put it on hold, but it coming down to the crunch now.
I bought a 71 Boss stroker (408) for it and is getting checked and putting a solid cam, ported and polished heads, and putting the tunnel ram on near the end of the season for the car shows around here. The 4 speed has been refreshed, and new seals in the rear, next winter might go for a mini-tub, the 295/50/15 just arent wide enough:D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
with the dummy Cleveland and tunnel ram

just playing with the spare Cleveland block for looks

Attachments

·
Registered
364 Posts
"i bought it from an older guy..."

from the looks of you in that driver's seat, the guy you bought it from was, what, ten?

great looking car before you started on it! what color is it now or going to be?

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it's going to be a cool Orange, with the stripes. I have the hood and spoiler stripes still but the sides are trashed. That picture was taken 4 years ago, and those are my kids, they keep pretending they were racing cops, just like I did they say. hahaha. Gotta love kids.
Someone ripped off the front spoiler, and the gas cap door, broke my mirrors, so all that still needs replacing. I also need stripping.But those arent important yet. Just to get it running and in Primer for spring is my main goal. I have all the interior, and panels, now it's just a matter of waiting for warmer weather and motivation to finish the body work and get it in primer, than get it all back together. No problem there.
I will take better pictures once it's near completion for everyone. And when I get the new Cleveland bolted in.

Thanx.

Rick

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wvcat, ones a boy (driver seat), they are girl (6) and boy(8) now. The car was originally Grabber Yellow. When I got it, itwas faded badly, and 1/2 in primer, and full of bondo., doors caved in, that's why 2 red doors.
Thanx for the compliment, it will be up and running in a few months.

·
Registered
406 Posts
WV- I almost painted my car that color, it's a great color, my favorite of the Cougar colors probably. Yellow eliminator... that reminds me me of this car - it was pretty nice to see a good old eliminator at least once in my life. Oh well, till the next car show I guess - thanks for sharing dark. - Chad

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's the color mine was, but had Magnum 500's on it. Should of left it alone, but was a rust bucket and ALOT of bondo. Igot it real cheap.
Maybe one day I'll get into the stoey of how I got it if you guys are interested.

Thanx

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Pix

oops, sorry about the girls comment Dark, My eyes aren't as good as they used to be. It would be interesting to hear your story about how you got your cat.
I went to look at mine for parts for the 69 bench I had at the time. I bought it from the second owner in 89 in passedena ca., she had just went and bought herself a shiney new hyundi...lol I almost felt bad knowing that her new car would be junk in a few years...lol
John

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wvcat, I checked out your page, I like it.
Here goes the story, it's long but not. hahaha

There was an add in the local trader mag (buy and sell) for a 70 Cougar for sale, will maybe trade for small econ. car. The wife and I looked at it. It looked pretty cool. When we pulled up in the guys yard, he was pushing it out of his barn like garage. He lived about 45 minutes away from us in the country. We walked up and introduced ourselves and started talking. The guy went into the barn and got out a battery and opened the hood to put it in. It was filthy, hooked up the battery and it fired right up. He said the reason he didnt drive it out was it had no brakes, and was sitting for 7 years. It was banned from road use cuz of the rusty 1/4's, bald tires and no brakes. So he just parked it and left it. His wife was leaving him and he wanted to sell the car to buy her one that worked. I checked out the car very good, it needed alot of help though. I stood back agaisnt my wifes car and stared at the Cougar, then looked at her car (ply. horizon) and we offered to trade cars straight across. He said he'd have to think about it for awhile. I said ok, and we left our phone number and drove home.
A few days later he phoned and asked if we could meet him and his wife so she could look at the horizon. We meet at a coffee shop and the girls took off and me and the old man talked. Turned out he wanted to buy a motor bike after his wife left him but not to tell her. I told him I had an old Suzuki T500 racing bike for sale to, long story short, we traded my motor bike and wifes car straight across for the Cougar. He also said he'd do the brakes and an oil change when I pick it up, but had no tires. His ex took the car and I delivered the bike, and picked up the Cougar. It had bald bias tires on, and the lights didnt work but it had brakes. It had the original hood scoop, front and rear spoiler, but the side stripping was pealing off and the guy took most off when he did some body work.
I had to get the car inspected before I insured it, new brakes all around, the guy didnt do them, just mickey moused them so they kinda stop.
I got it 11 years ago and it's going to be better than new when I'm finished. This spring, yahooo.
Sorry for the long story but it's kinda neat to hear.

Thanx
Rick

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
found some old pic's of the car after some body work was done before I sprayed it blue.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
and the back, notice the gas cap door, the kitty went missing. Anyone have an extra, also a front spoiler, repo is fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
364 Posts
you could have called this "pix of pieces of my car." is this a current photo? i'm not an engine man myself, so what's that monster you got in there?

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The pictures were taken in 93 or 94. I finished off the body work the guy started, and primered the whole car so it didnt look abstract. Then gave it a cheapy blue paint job, meaning paint was cheap. The motor is the stock 4V Cleveland, just freshened up abit. Now it's in a bag in the basement.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Pix

Cool story Dark,
I got my 69 in a straight up trade for a 72 midget. The days of finding these cats sitting around in barns are almost past now but we can keep hoping to run across one. I wish I would have taken pictures when I painted mine last time around. I will this time for sure.
John

·
Registered
364 Posts
i must have clicked on the "2" when i came here before...

i missed the entire first page of your posts, rick. now i see you did actually post pics of the whole car. it looked okay to start with but i actually like the look of it in primer better! maybe it's the angle or the lighting.

the story of how you got it sounds like you might have got took on the brake job but the trade seems to have gone your way. what i want to know is what your wife had to drive once you gave her car away!?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts