Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if the Pitman Arm to their Cougars had to ever be replaced because of wear? Sears told me that my Pitman Arm is worn and it has a lot of play, so that it is impossible to allign my suspension. I am having difficulty in locating one. If anyone can provide one or suggest a place that would definitely have a good used Pitman Arm, it would be appreciated. I cannot use my car presently since it is eating up my driver side tire.

Thanks,

Ice

·
Registered
698 Posts
Pitman arm

It doesn't happen often, but like everything else they can wear out. Tell us what car you have, and I am sure someone can help. I may have what you need.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bobcat427,

Thanks for your reply. I have A/T, factory air with the 351W. For your information, I replaced the Idler Arm 3 weeks ago, so it defintely is not the Idler Arm.

Please let me know if you have one including price, shipping, etc.

Thanks, Bobcat427.

Ice

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
idler arm

I replaced mine this spring and I had to order it, I ordered a MOOG unit from a real parts store because I've been told they hold up better. The cost was right in the neighborhood of 50 bucks. Also check the ball and socket on your PS control valve, they cause a lot of play when wore out. BTW I am on my third idler arm on my cougar, I've owned it since 1989. I'm sure the heat from the headers reduces the idler arms lifespan dramatically.

·
Registered
99 Posts
igarcia
are you sure its a part problem? how is the alighnment?
control arm bushings
lower control arm adjusting cam?
i had a 69 that would eat tires the adjusting cam on the lower control arm had worn away at the sides so it had no way to "adjust" the alighnment.
just some thoughts

also as far as the pitman arm goes I believe that it is a crash only part but i could be wrong

good luck

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
What year Cougar are you working on? I assume it must not be a 70 or older as Chris is right that they are not something that will wear out unless some one did not tighten the ball stud tight enough and it wallered out the tapered hole. I dont remember the 71 and newer very well but a few weeks ago I was under my buddies, kids 73 mustang ( the same as 71-73 cougar right?)and I noticed it had a saginaw type steering box on it and it would have a pitman arm that has a ball stud on it that could wear out. Even more so if it is the original that did not have a grease fitting on it. They should be able to be ordered from a parts store, but I would be surprised if any one had on on the shelf. Just a thought, if it was me I would check and maybe replace the steering box lower seal while I had the pitman arm off as a preventive mesure as they tend to leak with age. Pitman arms can be tough to pull sometimes as they are on a splined, tapered shaft and you may not want to pull it again later just to replace a seal.mm

·
Registered
206 Posts
pitman arm

i have a pitman arm $25 im also in ny

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Pitman arm

I have a few pitman arms for sale here.I imagine you need the one for manual steering?The PS ones should not wear unless elongated at tapered hole. Not a common problem Catz yaz

1 - 8 of 8 Posts