Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'v got movement on my pitman arm and I was woundering if there is a kit I can buy to rebuild or to get a new one. The movent is not on the steering colom end. I'd like to fix this bacause it gets a little scary at high speeds.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I presume the nut is tight which secures the pitman arm? Even so, there should be splines on the output shaft from the steering box. Check the following: 1. The splines and/or arm is ok at the output shaft. 2. The other end of the arm connects either to the control valve (PS) or another link (MS). A common problem is the control valve has a worn ball stud. 3. Is it possible the play is in the steering box itself? If so, you may be able to adjust out some of this, but usually the worm gear binds before the play is out. Kits are available from the usual places (i.e. Mustangs Unlimited, AutoKrafters, Mustangs Plus, John's Classic Cougars, etc..). There doesn't seem to be alot of places around which have a pitman arm for the 1969-70 model years, however. I've just been through all this for my car. You'll more than likely need a puller to extract the pitman arm.

Steve C.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I just replaced my control valve and had to take my pitman arm off to get the ball section off the valve. I bought a puller at NAPA for $20 which worked very well. Mark your place on your steering box so that when you put it back on, your steering wheel is in the same position, not turned to two o'clock like it can get. Make sure that nut is put back on securely, too. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Steering play

Jeff, if the play you are describing is not at the steering box, which is how I interpret your post, then it is in the ball stud on the PS control valve. This is a common problem for early Cougars and has been iscussed here A LOT! :lol2:
A quick search for "power steering valve" will show more threads, but the most recent were http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4868
http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4876 and
http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4315
It sounds like you have the same type of problem.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Actually I find the ball studs not the problem usually just leaky seals. The ball stud is supposed to move and its held by springs. The slop is in the slider in which the ball stud rests and grease is supposed to lubricate it thru bottom grease plug. Anyway about the question I don't know of a kit but if your shaft is loose in your box I'd suggest getting another good non sloppy box for $50 upish. Trust me I been inside lotsa boxes and the cheapest easiest is good used. Not to be confused with welll used which is what yours sounds like if the shafts moving to and fro.
Hope this helps > Catzyalater

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the steering box seems to be fine and the spline is not striped. The play is definatly in the ball stud.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts