Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay you cougar mechanics....i need help again......i have too much play in my steering and pin-pointed it to the pitman arm from the gear box to the steering linkage......when moving the steering wheel.....where the pitman arm connects to the linkage bar?.....it moves at least 1/4 to an half inch before the steering will move the wheels...???.....anyone out there can help me ......is there a bushing inside that steering linkage bar?.....i dont think it can be the pitman arm(i have tighten that down some more and no movement there)...but the stud that the pitman arm connects to moves inside of that linkage bar.....i hope some one can help me here....rebuild or replace??????.......thanks for your interest and help in this matter.......
gary

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
We cant remember everyones cars, so how about telling us what year it is and if its manual or power steering. mm

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
if it's power steering, then its the control valve. they can be rebuilt, or buy a new one. Id advise getting a new one. Dont even waste your time rebuilding yours. Just remember to count the threads remaing on the centerlink before pulling your off, and put the new one in the same spot :)

Rick

·
11,000 Posts
That's the control valve.

The control valve has to move to port fluid to the correct side of your slave cylinder. If you were to try the same test with the engine running you would see very little play at that location.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
it is the control valve(attached view) and yes it is 1970 power steering(sorry)

thanks for the replies......never checked it with the motor running....and great....i hope i can find a new one to replace...seeing how 15 years ago i tried to rebuild one on a 67 cougar......not pleasant...thats why i cant remember that one....but the play i was seeing is in the ball stud in the valve sleeve, which has ball stud seats....which i think is where the slack or play would be at....???

Attachments

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Royce is correct about some play without it running but as much as you describe its probably time for a new one.

Autozone ordered a rebuilt about a year ago for my brother for about $80 and its the way to go in my opinion opposed to rebuilding it yourself.

Even if your hyd assist cyl is good make sure to check the rubber bushings on it while your under there. mm

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
control valve - sleeve and ball stud

thanks "MM" on the autozone info.....have several of them around here in town ....will check for availabilty ......thanks to all who helped me in this matter....and if i can help you all in any way....give a shout and i will try my best.....
gary

1 - 7 of 7 Posts