Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what the Pink Resistor Wire (PRW) that goes from the tach to the coil value is. I was putting in a new Pertronix Ignitor distributor and during the new wire routing (getting 12v before the PRW) noticed that the old ignition wire was pretty hacked up (splices). So I cut the wire at the first splice (non-factory) at the fire wall grommet and removed from the coil (+ terminal). I measured it on the lowest scale on DVM and it read like .2 ohms. The wire looks red not pink, and had no markings.

Happy New Year!!! Brian:)

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I think you should have 2-3 ohms = roughly 9 volts ( Not enough to run a pertronix if that's what your planning on..)

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I think you should have 2-3 ohms = roughly 9 volts ( Not enough to run a pertronix if that's what your planning on..)
Not sure of the resistance value, but you'll only get 9V if the coil is connected and the pointed closed. If no current is drawn through the resistance, there will be no voltage drop (i.e., it will read 12V).

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Can anyone tell me what the Pink Resistor Wire (PRW) that goes from the tach to the coil value is. I was putting in a new Pertronix Ignitor distributor and during the new wire routing (getting 12v before the PRW) noticed that the old ignition wire was pretty hacked up (splices). So I cut the wire at the first splice (non-factory) at the fire wall grommet and removed from the coil (+ terminal). I measured it on the lowest scale on DVM and it read like .2 ohms. The wire looks red not pink, and had no markings.

Happy New Year!!! Brian:)
The resistance should be about 1.5 ohms.

Why is it there? http://www.classiccougargarage.net/showthread.php?tid=87

1 - 4 of 4 Posts