Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled the pinion nut off to replace the seal that was leaking. My shop manual says that I shouls torque the nut to 180 to 220 Ft-lbs. The question that I have is there a crush washer or collapsable bearing spacer that I have to replace? I not seeing it in the diagrams, and if I've already put the seal in will I have to pull it back out to put in the bearing spacer? How do I know how much torque to apply too?

Thanks, Michael

·
Registered
149 Posts
Is it 9"?
Im not too familiar with the 8" but I think it would be the same. Anyway, on a 9" there is a crushable sleeve. But you dont need to replace it to change your seal. You only replace it if you rebuild the axle. You should be able to retorque the pinion nut per the shop manual specs. Another way would have been to mark the nut and pinion threads before removing it and the torquing it until your mark lines up.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 67 LMN8R for the info, I thought that way but wanted to be sure this is all new to me. Yes it's a 9" to by the way I should have put that in the original post. The shop manual says to torque it to 180 to 220 Ft-lbs, so where do I torque it to....200?

Michael

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Reusing the crush sleeve is tricky...since you did not mark it you will be guessing on the torque. Once the sleeve starts to crush you need to measure the turning resistance on the pinion.
I would take the wheels and drums off and tighten in increments until the pinion has no slack and the turning resistance by hand just starts to tighten. Note, it should still be easy to turn! If you have an inch-pound torque wrench you can measure the correct resistance and be ok.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts