Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the original pin stripes on my 68 XR7 Paint or tape?

·
Registered
439 Posts
All Cougars are Painted on.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, So I rekon to have the car painted I will need to find someone who does pin stripes too! That may be harder than finding a good painter.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Not really, ask your local Hot Rod club, they all know someone who can lay a good pinstripe. Painters in the business also usually know someone.
Thanks, So I rekon to have the car painted I will need to find someone who does pin stripes too! That may be harder than finding a good painter.

·
Registered
30 Posts
For my '68 XR7, I recently used F-17 from www.finessepinstriping.com 3/32"x1/8"x3/32". I took my time doing it myself and I'm very happy with the results.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
I just ordered from Finesse as well, but I special ordered 3/32" x 3/16" x 3/32" which is very close to most of the original 68 stipes. They said it will ship out in a couple of days. They made be purchase 160 feet in a single roll of the stencil (enough to do four cars unless you waste a lot) instead of the 40' you really need to do one car. When I'm done I will be offering my leftover roll at a discount if someone is interested. Cost for 160' was $26.99 plus shipping.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These are stencils you are talking about? With those pretty much anyone could paint the stripes right?

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Yes, these we are talking about stencils. The hard part will be laying them out, after that its just paint between the lines with a brush.

·
Registered
30 Posts
With the body line, it wasn't too hard to lay the stencil tapes straight, just stretch it a little, starting from the front all the way back without stopping. The curve under the roof pillar went ok as well, as long as you stretch the tape and work with your finger and thumb. Instructions from Finesse helped. I taped 1/16" gaps at the fender seams and doors. Used my '68 Cougar sales brouchure as a guide. I guess I should have asked for the special size, but I'm still happy with the result.
Dave

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
In all reality as long as your happy thats all the matters. After all it is your car and you have no one else to please .... well except for the wife or significant other and most likely all they care about is that it is NOT parked in their side of the garage. I hear that complaint all the time, but when I remind her it is worth more than her Explorer, she kind of settles down, but only somewhat as I'm the one that cleans the snow off her car before she goes to work. I guess its a small price to pay.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Too funny! I'm by myself; no wife or significant other, not necessarily a good thing . Early Cougars are so rare where I am that nobody will know the difference about the gap between the two stripes. I guess I can be somewhat fussy, but not THAT much of a perfectionist!

Dave

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Go to your local Harley shop and ask who does custom pinstripes, Harvey. You want a guy that is a freehand artist. It's a snap to the right guy..

250.00 tops

·
Registered
270 Posts
Too funny! I'm by myself; no wife or significant other, not necessarily a good thing . Early Cougars are so rare where I am that nobody will know the difference about the gap between the two stripes. I guess I can be somewhat fussy, but not THAT much of a perfectionist!

Dave
Don't forget about the 67 XR7 lurking near you :)

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
I finally found the time to get the pinstripes hand painted on my G car last weekend and wanted to post the results obtained by using the stencils I mentioned in the posts above.

We did our best to replicate the crudeness of the original factory hand painted results. it only took 2 1/2 hours start to finish. As far as I can tell they look pretty close to the original stripes posted some time ago by CougarCJ in the post at: http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?52361-Original-Pin-Stripe-Specifications-Lets-brainstorm&highlight=pin+stripes+1968 .

Below are a few photos of the results. I still have enough stencil tape left over to do at least 2 cars if anyone is interested. I will sell the extra stencil tape I have for $20.00 and will include free shipping anywhere in the U.S. If interested send me a PM.

·
11,000 Posts
Scott that is a really nice job!

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Thanks guys for the kind words. I actually thought before opening and reading Royce's reply that maybe I did something wrong. I thought it came out ok as well. No more stick-on stipes for me in the future on any of my projects, I could not believe how easy the process was.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Just letting everyone know the stenci tape I had for sale has been spoken for and is no longer available.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Scott, where can someone purchase stencil tape? Thanks, and I agree also that's a nice job. John

1 - 20 of 21 Posts